Spring Muscial Teaser: Mamma Mia!

Aubrey Anne Richards, Contributor

Bob Jones’s theatre is putting on the production of the musical Mamma Mia! I have insider’s information that you do not want to miss! Get your dancing shoes on, and let’s go on a journey with some of the key players that are making this Voulez Vous come to life.  

For those of you who don’t know what Mamma Mia is, it is both a musical and a movie with a fabulous soundtrack written by ABBA that follows the journey of a young bride trying to find her biological father before her wedding. It is full of emotional scenes, wacky characters, and groovy songs.

If you haven’t seen it before, the Musical is being put on at the Bob Jones Zompa Auditorium between April 14th and April 23rd, and it will be just as great as any Broadway or movie version.

There will be also be an in-school production on Friday, April 15th during the first two blocks of the day. It will cost $7 and will occur during the 1st and 2nd block. Mrs. Davis added, “They’ll be able to go if they buy a ticket – they don’t have to get permission from their teachers for this one – if they have a ticket, they get to attend, just like they would if they buy a ticket to go to a basketball or volleyball game.”

For outside school hour performances, student tickets will cost $10 and parents $18. For more information about showtimes and ticket prices, please visit the Bob Jones Mamma Mia Instagram page. 

Samantha Bignault and Maelee Hamlett have taken on the roles of student director and producer. Elizabeth Lockwood and Andie D’Amico have choreographed and taught the dances to the amazing cast. According to Mrs. Davis, the many leads that this production offers is why she chose Mamma Mia as this year’s musical. “I selected Mamma Mia because it is full of songs from ABBA that I absolutely love, high-energy dance numbers, and lots of opportunities for leads.”

The students who have been cast for these twelve leads are Alia McGee, Rylen Byers, Eleanor Matheney, Tatianna Mikel, Jimena Sanchez, Adam Mercier, Tyler Martin, Matthew Pimmel, Andie D’Amico, Nicole Teper, Evan Leahy, and John Allison.

All of this could not be achieved without the help of the tech staff. Mr. Tilton leads the amazing tech group of the Spring Musical that consists of Anjalee Crawford, Emily Mitchell, Haiden Dill, Mitchell Czarnota, Nathan Ramsey, Evan Highsmith, and Taylor Webb. Each and every one of these people along with the rest of the cast are working hard to make this an amazing show.

Though students are working hard, Bignault’s account of rehearsal emphasized the friendships being made. “We get a lot of work done but have fun at the same time. We’ve definitely created a positive community where we help one another.”

If you want to see their hard work in action you can buy your tickets HERE or at the door. Tickets are selling fast!

Also, feel free to print the attached file and advertise the musical in classrooms and local businesses: Mamma Mia Official Poster