AFJROTC Cadets Attend Wings Over Columbus STEM Day and Air Show

David Lockhart, Contributor

On Friday, 25 March 2022, 36 Bob Jones AFJROTC cadets boarded a bus at 0600 to attend the Wings Over Columbus STEM Day and Air Show at Columbus Air Force Base, Columbus Mississippi. The three-hour trip was filled with excitement as the cadets neared Columbus AFB; for many cadets, it would be their first time on an Air Force Base.  

Planning for BJHS AFJROTC cadets to participate in the STEM Day and Air Show began in November, as soon as Maj Melissa Lacey, Senior Aerospace Science Instructor, learned that this year’s event was a definite “go.” The Air Show had not been held at Columbus AFB, MS, since 2019 due to COVID-19 concerns.

There were over 30 exhibitors for the STEM Day on Friday, to include the FBI Forensics Lab, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and New Hope VEX Robotics.  Cadets enjoyed the many opportunities to experience virtual reality flying, touring static aircrafts, and learning about military weaponry of the future.  Military recruiters and STEM vendors gave away “swag” to all students and instructors.

On Saturday, over 1,000 spectators were able to experience some of the best aerobatic flying in the country. Some of the teams present included Aeroshell Aerobatic team, Air Combat Command A-10 Warthog Demo team, the Five-time world freestyle champion Rob Holland, The Air Force Academy “Wings of Blue” Parachute team, and the United States Air Force Thunderbirds.  The Air Combat Command A-10 Warthog Demo Team wowed the crowd with a simulated ground attack with low flight and exploding pyrotechnics “bombing.”

Some cadets were asked to describe their experience in one sentence. Cadet Wing Adviser Ethan Fury said, “I already wanted to fly in the military and in my future, but this [the airshow] made me want to fly even more.” Another 3-year cadet, Marjorie Baumbach who is attending Flight Academy over the summer to obtain her private pilot’s license, said, “It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen before, and it sparked in me more passion for aviation than I thought I was capable of experiencing.” As for me, this really pushed me to not settle for commercial and really shoot for a career in military aviation. The excitement and passion I felt throughout the entire day was unparalleled to anything I’ve done in my life.