A Perfect Par

Megan Zecher, Writer, Photographer

Junior Katie Kovach and Senior Sabrina Hayashi – the girls’ golf team. Never heard of them? You should have.
Why?
The team–made up of Kovach and Hayashi–played fantastically in their first tournament of the season Monday and recently took a win in a match Wednesday against James Clemens. They credit their wins to experience: Kovach started golf in 7th grade and has played for Bob Jones since 8th grade, while Hayashi has played for the school since 7th grade.
“Our team is getting better each day, which is exactly what you want out of your athletes in any sport.” Coach Rodney Schrimsher comments. As the season begins, he is pleased with the girls’ playing so far. “It [Monday’s tournament] was actually our first tournament of the season, but I was very proud of Sabrina and Katie’s scores for the first eighteen-hole round of the year.”
While girls’ golf proves to be experienced, many are surprised at how small the team is this year: Hayashi and Kovach are the only players. “It was weird at first,” Hayashi comments, “because the first two years I played, there were twelve girls on the team, and now there’s only two.”
“It’s so much fun, but a lot of people don’t even know we have a golf team.” Kovach adds.
Schrimsher agrees; this small of a team is not ideal. “In fact, because we only have two competitors, we are not technically eligible for “team” competitions.” According ASHAA rules, a team consists of at least five golfers. “It is inconceivable to me that a school the size of Bob Jones High School doesn’t have more than two student-athletes interested in the sport of golf.”
While there are disadvantages to having such a small team, the group sees the silver lining to their few numbers.
“It’s a really fun experience because not a lot of girls play golf, but the ones who do are really genuine and hardworking, but at the same time, they’re really carefree; it’s really easy to bond with your teammates and other girls through golf.” Kovach states.
Hayashi focuses more on her skills. “I think it helps because we get more help from our coach and can focus on us getting better.”
“The players are comfortable enough around me to seek advice and direction in many aspects, not just on the golf course.” Schrimsher puts a mentoring light to their situation.”Plus, they get to advise me on things that I can benefit as well.”
This group is, indeed, very close. “Honestly, I think the world of both of these girls (and their families), and they truly are everything I said about them.” Schrimsher’s praises include his amazement at their sportsmanship, their good attitude, their talent, and other aspects. “If I had daughters, I would be ecstatic to know that they turned out like either of these two.”
The team members and coach all share a particular hope for the future of the girls’ golf team:
“I hope more girls get interested in playing golf or at least try out.” says Hayashi.
“I really wish more people would get involved with golf!” Kovach exclaims. “I do wish more girls would try out for the team.”
“We’re…focused on getting some more interest and involvement next year.” Upcoming Discovery students have shown interest, according to the coach. “I hope next year we can at least field a five-person team and get back to competing at the team-level.”
Benefits of playing golf, Schrimsher says, can include scholarships and connections that help “provide a path” for future success. “My vision for BJHS Girls Golf is to see a tradition begun and maintained that equals the reputation of all of BJHS’ award-winning accolades.” The experience has been awarding. ” I am most thankful for all that I have learned from the students/players over the years. They have taught -and coached me as much as I ever taught and coached them.”
The girls’ team will be playing all throughout their busiest month, April, and we all wish them luck on their season.