Switching Gears, Swishing Hoops

Gracie Poehlman

The girls varsity team facing the Madison Academy Mustangs on January 24th.

Gracie Poehlman, Writer, Photographer

Despite disappointing losses Tuesday night to the Madison Academy Mustangs, last year’s state champions, the Bob Jones basketball teams are moving on to the state tournament. The girls will play in the Area Tournament February 6th, while the boys play February 7th.

The varsity boys basketball team facing the Mustangs.

The girls, who are now 10-11 for the season, are optimistic about their skills in the state tournament.

The boys, who are 10-13 for the season following the loss, are not as happy but still look forward to the upcoming tournament.

Coach Luther Tiggs says he is proud of the progress the boys team has made, going from a 5-25 record in the 2015-2016 season to their current standing. “We finished with a 4-2 area record and a number two seed in the area tournament. […] Our players have really played hard this season. We have a challenging schedule which will prepare our team for post-season play. Our team strengths are playing up-tempo fast break basketball and toughness on the defensive end.”

“We’re like, second place right now. I like our chances in the tournament. We’ve beaten JC twice, and Buckhorn once. If [the boys] bring their A-Game, it’ll be a long shot, but we could win.” said Trevor Stewart, a frequent attender of Bob Jones basketball games, “I like the progress the girls have made. […] I know the girls have had issues within the team, but I know they’ve taken steps to fix those issues both on and off the court. I know Coach Reynolds will do his part to prepare them, it’s just a matter of them executing as a unit rather than as individual pieces.”

All teams will be traveling to Grissom High School tonight for one of the last three games before the state tournament.