Batter up! Baseball is Back in Season.

Anna Deaton, Writer

Baseball season is in full swing with a full lineup of games over the past week. Varsity, JV, and Freshman teams have all experienced some ups and downs with the start of the new season. Varsity got off to a great start with their first win on opening day.

While this is the official start to their season, the boys have been training nonstop. Off season training includes frequent workouts in the weight room and scrimmages to get the team ready for game day. According to senior player, Ford Luttrell, “We really prepared well in the off season and I can’t wait for all the hard work to pay off.” He is excited for his senior year and remains confident in his teammates’ abilities on the field.

“Our players are put through a rigorous strength and conditioning program in the fall and our strength levels have really increased,” said Varsity head coach, Jared Smith. This is vital to help the players avoid injury as they put a lot of stress on their muscles during games. An individual player’s position has a lot of say in determining what they should focus on, but core, legs, forearms, and shoulders are important for everyone.

Varsity has the chance to be a major contender this year with a total of twelve seniors hitting the field. Head coach Smith added that, “We feel like our strengths will be our pitching staff and defense.” With fourteen of their players graduating after last season, this year’s senior players have “stepped up into leadership roles”, according to Smith.

Sparkman will more than likely be their biggest contender this year with “well rounded players and great hitting,” says Luttrell. Other important games include James Clemens and Buckhorn, both being strong contenders the past few years.

Talent is abundant in our varsity teams this year with a couple seniors already committed to the university of their choice. Ford Luttrell committed to Auburn University back in January, along with Coleton Barnes committing to Marian Military Institute.

Varsity will be playing games all the way through April, check out the full schedule here. They will be having their annual Breast Cancer Awareness Night on March 31.