The Last Ride

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Last Ride

Marcia McCoy, Writer, Graphic Artist

For the seniors playing high school football, this year will be their last time under the Friday night lights, the last time strapping on the helmet, and the last time they join their teammates in battle on the gridiron. The 2017-2018 school year, there are 22 senior football players.

Caleb Lawson, a senior football player, stated, “This year is going great. I have tons of friends in my classes and on the team and I’m looking forward to the rest of football season, wrestling season, and Tech theatre. Listening to rock music in my headphones in the locker room and while walking the field pregame is how I prepare for the game.”

Kyle Parker, also a senior here at Bob Jones, said, “I play defensive back. How I prepare for each game is by listening to music and stretching on the field before the game starts. My season was going great until the James Clemens game, when I realized I couldn’t play any more. I discovered that I broke my ankle in two places and had to get surgery, which meant I was out for the season. Since the surgery, I have been going to every game to support my teammates which are my brothers on the field every Friday night.”

Martin McCoy, another senior football player stated, “Before each game, I listen to music and make sure my head is straight. The biggest impact on my senior year so far was the JC game, beating them 40-14. I doesn’t stress me being a senior as much because I know I’m going to play at the next level. I plan on attending Troy University and playing football there. I try and stay focused during the entire game and just keep my head up.”

In a football game, lineman lead the way. It takes a whole team to make it work. There is a mixture of emotions that go into the games throughout the year. As we get deeper into the season, our fans and students get more tense and start having more faith in our players.

Soon, seniors will graduate high school and go off to college, to the military, or off to work. They will have to grow up. They won’t be able to be just a kid anymore, and in no place is being a kid more amplified than being with your teammates on a football field– the losses, the wins, the long summer practices, the cold October nights, getting yelled at by your coach or singing the school fight song in the end zone following the game.

Marcia McCoy, Writer

Hi, I'm an eleventh grader , and I am a part of the Bob Jones Marching Band. I am also involved in Key Club at Bob Jones. I have been involved with band...

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Bowling

• The Last Ride

Sports

Merchandise Madness: Rocket City Trash Pandas

• The Last Ride

Sports

After Falling to Sparkman, Bob Jones Bball Preps for Big Tournament

• The Last Ride

Sports

Basketball Season: Finding That Chemistry

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Volleyball: Your State Runner Up!

• The Last Ride

Sports

Hard Work Pays Off: Playoffs

• The Last Ride

Sports

Let’s Make a Run for It

• The Last Ride

Sports

UFC 229: The Champ’s Folly

• The Last Ride

Sports

Alabama: From Jalen to Tua

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Prepares to Play James Clemens on Friday

The Last Ride