The Last Ride

Marcia McCoy, Writer, Graphic Artist

For the seniors playing high school football, this year will be their last time under the Friday night lights, the last time strapping on the helmet, and the last time they join their teammates in battle on the gridiron. The 2017-2018 school year, there are 22 senior football players.

Caleb Lawson, a senior football player, stated, “This year is going great. I have tons of friends in my classes and on the team and I’m looking forward to the rest of football season, wrestling season, and Tech theatre. Listening to rock music in my headphones in the locker room and while walking the field pregame is how I prepare for the game.”

Kyle Parker, also a senior here at Bob Jones, said, “I play defensive back. How I prepare for each game is by listening to music and stretching on the field before the game starts. My season was going great until the James Clemens game, when I realized I couldn’t play any more. I discovered that I broke my ankle in two places and had to get surgery, which meant I was out for the season. Since the surgery, I have been going to every game to support my teammates which are my brothers on the field every Friday night.”

Martin McCoy, another senior football player stated, “Before each game, I listen to music and make sure my head is straight. The biggest impact on my senior year so far was the JC game, beating them 40-14. I doesn’t stress me being a senior as much because I know I’m going to play at the next level. I plan on attending Troy University and playing football there. I try and stay focused during the entire game and just keep my head up.”

In a football game, lineman lead the way. It takes a whole team to make it work. There is a mixture of emotions that go into the games throughout the year. As we get deeper into the season, our fans and students get more tense and start having more faith in our players.

Soon, seniors will graduate high school and go off to college, to the military, or off to work. They will have to grow up. They won’t be able to be just a kid anymore, and in no place is being a kid more amplified than being with your teammates on a football field– the losses, the wins, the long summer practices, the cold October nights, getting yelled at by your coach or singing the school fight song in the end zone following the game.

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Cheer Nationals 2018

• The Last Ride

Sports

Kickin’ Off The Season

• The Last Ride

Sports

BJ Tennis Starts New Season with a Victory

• The Last Ride

Sports

Huntsville Havoc

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Lacrosse

• The Last Ride

Sports

Super Bowl 52: It All Came Down to This

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Wins Wrestling Duals State Championship

• The Last Ride

Sports

Gearing Up for the 2018 Winter Olympics

• The Last Ride

Sports

Bob Jones Bowling Gaining Momentum

• The Last Ride

Sports

The Student Section Seriously Needs Your Help.

The Last Ride