Running Cross Country

Chloe Smith, photo credit

Eva Yeager, Writer

Cross country season is underway. Coach Baker is still the cross country coach, and Mrs. Teare is the sponsor. Some BJ runners to watch this season are Neda Mobasher, Bernadette Parsons, Chloe Smith, David Zuo, Shafi Muhammed, and Alex Simmons.

If you want to support the team, come cheer them on at an upcoming meet.

The cross country team recently participated in the AHSAA outdoor track in field meet down in Gulf Shores, Alabama where Bob Jones performed well.

The team also competed at the Scottsboro Invitational against about 30 other schools and was scheduled to compete at AMU on the 19th, but it sadly got canceled because of the storms.

“This team is great,” Erin Keenan said. “We always work together, help each other and warm-up together.” Erin described demanding practices. They run a mile warm-up and then run 3-7 miles during practice. They practice everyday Monday-Saturday either in the mornings before school at 5 AM or after school. The hard work pays off because the team almost always make it to sectionals and state every year.

Coach Baker, the cross country coach, use to also be a competitive high school runner himself. “Coach Baker is a great coach,” Erin said. “He’s very fair  and a great leader.”

This team isn’t just for Bob Jones students because elementary and junior high students can also participate.

• Ages 7-9 run about 2.1 miles at practice.
  • 10-12 run either a 5k or 3.5 miles at practice.

Mrs. Teare said, “We have some really promising runners from DMS. The older kids are great mentors for the younger ones.”

You can also learn more at the Bob Jones Athletics website.