Juggling Sports and Academics

Marissa Liriano, Writer, Graphic Artist

How are sports affecting athletes’ education? 

Most students feel like they are able to manage both sports and academics. Deseree Marrow is a sophomore basketball player and also involved in Track. Deseree said that she does not think that sports gets in the way of her education. She actually feels like education gets in the way of her sports because she believes that her sports will take her further in life than her education.

Aidan Heuer, another basketball player, stated, “No, my sports do not get in the way of my education, and yes, sometimes I do find myself putting my sports before my education depending on what is going on in practice or if it’s a serious game I will put my studies or work aside until I feel as if my sport is taken care of, but it’s not all the time.”  

Sophomore soccer player Jessica Glassman expressed, “ No, my education does not get in the way of my sports. Sometimes I do find myself putting my sports in front of my schooling, but for the most part, my education is first.”

George Graves, a senior, said,  “As being a part of Track and Field, I don’t believe that sports itself ever had a direct effect on my ability to complete assignments in my classes. I also feel that because I play a sport, I am more inclined personally to make better grades in order to continue what I love. I could name very few of my friends that put their sport before their education, in various sports here at Bob Jones, that would actually commit to doing that. In fact, I’d say that any student-athlete would recognize the fact that the word “student” comes first for a reason.”

Anna Grace Pell, a senior swimmer at BJ, agreed. She said, “They help you prepare to deal with more than one thing at a time. If you balance it out and put education first, then you will succeed. You have to use your time wisely, though. I don’t think athletes would put their sports before their education. I think they would be smarter than that.”

Bob Jones athletic student director Coach Runnion stated that he believes that some players get caught up in sports. Coach Runnion said, “ We have some of the best coaches in the state of Alabama.” Coach Lewis is a basketball coach and a football coach at BJ, and he shared how he motivated his players to get a good education and do good in sports.  Coach Lewis said, “ I have seen some of my players throughout the years getting caught up in sports, but I tell them that it’s okay if you make mistakes because everyone does, but you can’t do one without the other. You need the education to get a good scholarship in sports and a great career.”

It’s really all about learning to manage time. Like Coach Lewis stated, “ You can’t do one without the other.”

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

Football in the South

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

2017 World Series

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

Cross Country Takes On Tuscaloosa

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

Running Cross Country

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

Volleyball: A Big Win Over Sparkman

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

Swim Team’s First Meet of the Season

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

The Last Ride

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

BJ > Sparkman

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

6Peat: BJ over JC in the Madison City Bowl

• Juggling Sports and Academics

Sports

BJ Football Season Underway

Juggling Sports and Academics