Indoor Track Ends With A Bang

Matthew Pimmel, Writer

After several months of non-stop training, racing, and hard work, the indoor track season has finally concluded. The final high school state meet took place on February 5th, 2021, and many agree that the last meet will be one to remember. Results have been very impressive, with several athletes taking home medals, and achieving many personal records.

“All of our hard work has finally paid off,” said Wade Bucy, an athlete on the team. “This season has been pretty tough because of Covid, but it’s pretty incredible that we managed to get through the entire thing.” Indeed, there were many times in which the season was in danger of being cancelled. Positive tests are often very frequent in sports teams, and the track and field team was no different. Even coaches weren’t immune to the virus, with Coach Jefferson being hospitalized for most of the season. Despite the odds, the team pulled through and finished off with great results.

Male Athletes’ PR’s

• 60 Meter Hurdles – 8.30 (Tyler Pitts)
  • 4×400 Men’s Relay – 3:35
  • 4×800 Men’s Relay – 8:39

Female Athletes’ PR’s

• 1600 – 5:17 (Hannah Thuss)
  • 3200 – 11:51 (Hannah Thuss)
  • 4×400 Women’s Relay – 4:15
  • 4×800 Women’s Relay – 10:33
  • Women’s Shot Put – 32-6.5 (Kirsten Tigner)

Even a new school record was set in the women’s 1600 by Hannah Thuss, with an astounding time of  5 minutes and 17 seconds. Hopefully, the time will only get shorter and shorter as time goes on. Congratulations to everybody who worked hard this season and managed to make some big achievements. Who knows what the outdoor season will have in store for our athletes? Only time will tell.