What’s in Store for Indoor Track?

Carmen Hunderman, Contributor

This past Saturday was the last indoor meet of the regular season for the Bob Jones Varsity Track and Field Team. The BJ Track team competed against 113 teams from Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. Here are the highlights:

Girls

Alisa Owens; Alivia Urrutia; Arienna Coe; Ebba Detulleo:  4×400 Meter Relay; 3rd Place Overall

Aaliyah Washington:  Long Jump; 2nd in 7A

Taylor Thompson:  Shot Put; 5th in 7A

Boys

CJ Bush; Jordan Morrison; Jordan Urrutia; KJ Fields:  4×400 Meter Relay; 3rd Place Overall

Cosey Scarebrook:  High Jump; 3rd Place Overall

Jordan Morrison:  Long Jump; 7th in 7A

Caleb Johnson:  800 Meter Run 11th in 7A

Not only was that impressive, but by the end of the meet BJ Track had 10 boys and 12 girls qualifying for the State Championship, which takes place on February 5, 2022. Among those people were Aaliyah Washington and Taylor Thompson, both were in the state’s Top 25.  Jordan Morrison and Caleb Johnson were in the state Top 50.

I later asked Coach Jefferson about what he thought of this indoor track season. “I love indoor track because it breaks up the long season from October to May,” he stated. But he also noted the lack of indoor facilities for high schoolers and the lack of crash mats for 60m sprints, which could result in injury. As well as his concern due to COVID for the students going to state championships. “Given the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are struggling to keep the kids healthy, ” he stated.

In spite of this, Coach Jefferson believes BJ Indoor Track has a chance at state titles. “We have a great opportunity to do something great. We have a chance to win 5 state titles. Plus, a few top-5 finishes.”

What a fantastic way to cap off a fantastic season, and we at Bob Jones wish those competing in state championships the best of luck.Good Luck!