Awkward Freshman Moments

Shandi Burrows

Freshman Megan Lamps is the poster child for Awkward Freshman Moments

Shandi Burrows, Writer, Photographer

Everyone at Bob Jones has been a freshman at one point of his or her life. Going to high school for the first time is a strange and unusual experience, but it can be one of the best years of your life. One thing is guaranteed: everyone has awkward moments, especially freshmen.

Awkward Moment #1

Many new students have walked into the wrong classroom, sometimes the first day of school, sometimes the last… or anywhere in between. 28 out of 30 freshman students who were asked said they walked into the wrong classroom in just the first couple weeks of school. Some people, like Andriana Halkias, said, “Of course I have walked into the wrong classroom, who hasn’t?” Not many people know how to recover from this embarrassing moment, but there is a way and here is how to pull it off with style:

Walking in the Wrong Class:

1. Make sure you look at the room numbers by the door and double-check your schedule before you walk in.
  2. Walk into all classrooms with your head held high and a smile on your face.
  3. Look for the teacher that you met at Open House (aka Patriot Night).
  4. When class starts, pay attention to what the teacher says.
  5. If you have never heard of this teacher’s name and they aren’t on your schedule, then you are probably in the wrong class.
  6. Stand up, go quickly to find the classroom you should be in… and you will be fine, everyone gets lost. Remember not to look worried and try to laugh it off.

Tip: If this is not your first day, you can look for people that you saw in the class from the previous day.

Awkward Moment #2

Everyone has tripped over his or her own feet, a wet floor sign or even an “invisible pebble” (which is really just air). Sometimes you fall flat on your face instead of just stumbling, and it’s hard to know what to do. Again, here is how to handle the situation with style:

Falling in the Hallway:

1. After you fall in the hallway, try to get up quickly so no one trips over you.
  2. If you drop something, make sure you pick it up right away so you don’t lose it.
  3. If people try to help you up, let them. If they are nice enough to offer, take their help.
  4. Once you get up, just keep walking to your class.
  5. If your leg hurts, go to the nurse. Don’t just shrug and say “oh, well” to the pain.

Tip: Laugh it off. Everyone falls in the hall, so don’t be embarrassed.

When any awkward moment happens, you may feel embarrassed, but don’t worry about it. Everyone does embarrassing stuff in their lives, so you’re just being normal.