CTE: Skinning the Giraffe, or Why You Should Take Multimedia Design

Rachel Bryan

Student art work by Rachel Bryan

Sada Forrest, Writer

If you’re thinking about taking Multimedia Design, you should. Or if you have no idea what it is, read on and be enlightened.

Multimedia Design is a class open to all. It’s a unique experience that allows students to express themselves creatively with technology.  Students who like art and technology tend to gravitate toward it, but there aren’t any prerequisite skills needed.

Michael Samaras, a senior who has taken the course, shares what he thought about it, “My first impression was it was not like any other class that I’ve ever taken before. I actually felt like I learned skills that would help me get a job.”

Students use Mac computers with Adobe Creative Suite, which includes InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. Rachel Bryan, who is currently working to pass her ACA (Adobe Certification Associate) test, speaks on her experience. “It’s helped me skin a giraffe (really).  It’s also helped me realize what I want to do in the future, which is to become a graphic designer.”

Students in Multimedia Design and its second year class Multimedia Publications have the opportunity to raise their voice about things they find interesting or want other people to know by writing, shooting photos, filming, and promoting content for the Bob Jones Patriot Pages, which is “For the Students, By the Students.” There is also an opportunity for students to express themselves even more artistically by creating digital content that will go into the school’s literary and arts magazine, which is also put together by those who enroll into the second-year class.

It allows students to understand how design and marketing work together in the business world.  Students have worked to create more professional content for Madison City Schools as well as local businesses.  Patrick Brady worked with Madison City School’s Public Relations rep John Peck to create Dr. Fowler’s “State of the Schools” video. “I was surprised when a Dean at UAH told me that he recognized my name in the credits of the video.”

Learning 21st communication skills seems like a no-brainer.  “You would surprised how often we’re asked to help adults with multimedia projects that you think they should know how to do themselves,” said senior Haley Hop.  “Obviously, there’s a reason to learn stuff like this because there are professionals who need this kind of work done and don’t have the skill set needed because of a generation gap or fear of tech.”

Multimedia Design covers such a wide range of activities that it’s easy to find a passion and have the chance to grow in that particular strength. Kalee Yem, who is taking the course for the first time, conveys her view, “It’s a very fun class, and it invigorates me and makes me feel empowered.”

All in all, if one is interested in expanding his or her comfort with technology or wants to learn to communicate with others in a new way, this class is definitely something to consider.