7 Things to Do Over Summer Vacation

Patrick Brady, Writer

1. Camping

Whether it be in the backyard or under the stars, camping is synonymous with the summer. There are many great places around to go. Monte Sano, Walls of Jericho, and Sipsey are just some of the more popular areas for students. Grab a couple of friends or your family and enjoy the fresh outdoors.

2. Sports

With nice sunny days and fresh grass everywhere, sports are the perfect past time. If you ask around you’re sure to find a group of several students who go out and play ultimate Frisbee at least twice a month. Ultimate and Football are played all over Madison in the many open fields. Even if you’re not the sporty type you can come watch or even just play some Frisbee golf or mini golf at either Indian Creek or Insanity Complex.

3. Netflix

While Alabama’s humid weather isn’t ideal for us all the time we can still enjoy the time off sitting on the couch. The best way to spend a couple lazy days is splurging on any of the great TV shows on Netflix. Breaking Bad, Psych, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards are just a few of the amazing popular TV shows on right now. There’s too many to list here but a quick Google search and you find more then enough shows to keep you occupied this summer.

4. Swimming

This would seem pretty obvious, but you don’t have to just keep to your neighborhood pool. If you’re looking for more fancy places then the YMCA and Point Mallard will have plenty of slides and high dives for a great day with friends. If you want a free swim day then try some of the local swim holes. Indian Creek and the Refuge both have nice open areas to swim and even include cliff jumping and rope swings! Just remember to let go!

5. Festivals

Big Spring Park and Lowe Mill constantly have unique events including art, music, and movies. Even if when they have nothing special happening there is still plenty to do around the areas. Lowe Mill hosts a variety of local artists stores. Crafts and furniture are all available.

6. Movies

This summer is packed with amazing movies. Continuing franchises like Mission Impossible and Avengers have their latest features and reboots of Jurassic World, Mad Max, and Fantastic Four are guaranteed to bring old fans out to theaters this summer. There are even some good spin-offs coming out. Ant- man from the Marvel Comics and Minions from Despicable Me look to be interesting takes on their already established worlds. Aside these titles are some new works including Pixels and Tommorrowland. If the big screen is to much on your wallet then head to the dollar theaters for a bit later cinematics. Either way this summer looks to be packed with flicks.

7. Money

A lot of kids are taking up summer jobs to make a little extra pocket cash but this isn’t the only way to make some money. Besides the cliché lemonade stand you could host your very on garage/yard sale. Not only is this a good way to make money but it also lets you de-clutter your house and get rid of what you don’t use anymore.