Building Apps is Easy

Stephen Rasberry, Writer

If you own an Android device, you’re in luck. You have the ability to build your own app! How you ask? Well, if you’ve taken Mrs. Rountree’s Computer Science Programming (CSP) before, you’ve used MIT App Inventor.

What is MIT App Inventor?  Mrs. Rountree said, “I think the MIT App Inventor is an interesting tool that allows students the ability to make apps.”

MIT App Inventor is a blocks-based programming tool that allows everyone, even people who have never built an app before, the ability to learn programming and build fully functional apps for Android devices. Newcomers to App Inventor can have their first app up and running in an hour or less and can program more complex apps in significantly less time than with more traditional, text-based languages.

The MIT App Inventor project seeks to democratize software development by empowering all people, especially young people, to transition from being consumers of technology to becoming creators of mobile technology.

It provides students who are new to the experience with the support to create an app successfully.  “I like the MIT App Inventor and what it has to offer,” says D’Mar Wilcher.

If you’re interested in learning how to make an app, talk to Mrs. Rountree about getting involved in building apps.