Rachel’s Challenge: Start a Chain Reaction

Tiffany Wu, Writer

On October 1, 2015, Bob Jones decided to tackle Rachel’s Challenge, where we spread her message. It all started in 1999 when Rachel was killed in Columbine High School. Her parents found an essay she had wrote before her death, it included a powerful message:

“I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.”

Students attended an assembly during the morning where a special guest speaker spoke to students about Rachel’s story. Ms. L brought Bob Jones through a story. She asked everyone to be challenged throughout your day.

Eyes were flooded with tears as Rachel’s story was revealed. Numerous students were motivated by her speech.

“It was very empowering and it inspired me to choose kindness,” explained Rachel Adkins. Rachel Scott’s small step is encouraging and effecting millions of lives all around the world. A difference between your neighbors doesn’t mean that you should be mean when you have the opportunity to show goodness.

“It emphasized the effects of a little kindness,” noted Nicole Archer. Many people do not know how much a compliment will change someone’s day. Any act of compassion can speak to hearts across the globe. How can this possibly be accomplished?

Rachel always believed that she would change the world, she took the first step in her high school years. Today, as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior,you can change the world by joining F.O.R., Friends of Rachel.  This club shouldn’t be confused with F.O.R, Friends of Rescue Club.  After the assembly, a group of students went to training to learn more about taking the next step in Rachel’s Challenge. The club is open to anyone willing to fill hearts with hope and kindness. Would you be willing to start a chain reaction?

Any student interested in marching in the Homecoming parade behind the F.O.R. banner to carry the symbolic paper chain can get a permission slip from Mrs. Drummond in B107.