Huntsville’s Skating in the Park

Rebecca Shin, Writer, Photographer

Come out to the only outdoor ice skating park in Huntsville and Madison with your family, a date, or with your friends.

The Huntsville Museum of Art is hosting their 4th annual Skating in the Park in Big Spring Park this holiday. The temporary outdoor ice skating rink will be open to the public on Friday, November 20 to Monday, January 4. Tickets for admission will be $10 for ages nine and up, but the full pricing is here. The hours of the rink will vary depending on the day of the week and will also be different on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and on New Year’s day. The ice skating rink is great for children, families, adults, and teens. Sophia Driggs, a junior said, ” It was so cute down there” and that there are skating aids ready to rent for $5. Expect hordes of people on some days more than others. Noah Vermillion, a sophomore, tipped, “I went last year, and it was crowded on Friday and Saturday night.” Skates will also be available: “They have skates for you to rent or you can bring your own,” Noah also informed.

There will be concessions at the skating rink or you can walk to the pizza restaurant close by. Sophia said that she and her sisters drank “hot chocolate from the concessions.” Tinsel Trail will also be back this year, opening on November 27. Christmas trees will be lined up and decorated by local businesses and sponsors according to WAFF 48 and FOX10tv.

Though Skating in the Park may be a recent tradition in Huntsville, some people in Madison may be less aware by the event. Kinley Bragg, a junior of Bob Jones, said, “I didn’t know about this before.” While some will enjoy the event, others will be left uninformed. However, this does not mean that the museum’s event suffered a loss in the past years. The attraction has garnered over 34,000 people and “thousands of spectators, to Big Spring Park.” The proceeds from the event will be going toward the museum.

Create a new memory with your loved ones and companions by dropping by the outdoor ice skating rink behind the Huntsville Museum of Art and celebrate the upcoming holiday season.