Doodle 4 Google!

Kinley Bragg, Writer

Google has released a friendly competition for students that are in any grade level. Doodle 4 Google allows kids and teens around the world to have a chance of sharing their artwork with anyone who uses Google’s search engine.

There are couple of requirements for the doodle. First and most important is the use of the letters g-o-o-g-l-e in the work.  Students can use any materials.  Along with the artist’s design, Google requires them to write a fifty-word statement about their doodle. Along with the required entry form, he/she can turn the  artwork in as a .pdf, .jpg, or .png. Also, if the artist did not use technology to create the artwork, they can photograph it to upload it to their computer.  If using the online entry, artists need a parent or teacher to upload it.  Students can also mail in the entry.

Of course, there is a prize for winning. The national winner gets the artwork presented on the official Google search engine! The winner also receives a $30,000 college scholarship, and their school gets a $50,000 education grant.  The winner gets a trip to the Google headquarters as well as nominating a teacher to go with them.  The winner receives both a Chromebook and an Android tablet, and finally they get a t-shirt with their doodle on it.

Then there are national finalists who get a $5,ooo grant, a trip to the Google headquarters, an Android tablet, and a t-shirt with their doodle on it.

Finally, there are the state and territory winners that get an Android tablet and a t-shirt with their doodle on it.

There are six judges who will look at the doodle and decide who will win.

Any student can join in on the competition.  We even have some student from Bob Jones who are participating in the competition. The multimedia design class will submit their take on Google’s logo, but you don’t have to be in any special class to participate.  The due date is December 7.

There will be a public voting for entries in February, and the winners are announced in March.