Mock Campaign Ads: More than a Mockery

Dave Mercier, Writer

Those who are currently looking at this picture may be wondering why this student is dressed as a balding old man. This is not just any ordinary balding old man, though.  Students in Mrs. Springer’s government class are currently creating campaign ads for various presidential candidates. The above picture is a student’s rendition of Senator Bernie Sanders.

When asked about her inspiration and reasoning of the project, Mrs. Springer responded, “It is not common that a social studies class has the opportunity to be about the present and what’s currently happening in the world around us. This activity allows us to bring the topic into the classroom and take advantage of the situation. One of my beliefs is that school is a microcosm of democracy.   What happens here should mirror what happens in our country and around the world.”

The students were instructed to create a minute-long advertisement for a candidate that shared their views and positions on various subjects and issues.

Current senior Elora Holland, a student in Mrs. Springer’s government class, thinks all Bob Jones students should watch these videos.  “A  lot of high school students find politics boring and seeing student-made videos makes it more personal and fun.”

Mrs. Springer agrees that all students should watch these videos.  “My goal is to have a senior-wide viewing, whether during senior advisory, or from an online link during their own time. But there should be a way for seniors to see the videos, have their opinions, educate themselves, and gain political interest outside of the four walls of the classroom.”

Some may say she is aiming for goals too high, but sometimes it takes initiative to create opportunity – the opportunity to connect the real world and our academic studies.