FAFSA at a Glance

Natacha Smith

The College and Career Center located by the library

Natacha Smith, Writer

Seniors are already terrified about applying to colleges; this year, the FAFSA has been accepting applications early. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is financial help for students, and applications are being accepted now–since October 1st actually–but the deadlines vary from school to school.

Here are things you should know about the FAFSA. 

First of all, anyone can apply. College and career counselor Mrs. Champion said, “Some students just don’t apply because they don’t think they qualify for anything, but this application is based off of financial tax records from 2015, so anyone could qualify.”

The best part is that you can also receive grants, scholarships, or work-study opportunities. College freshman Dominique Steele said, “I suggest you apply early on so you can receive more money.” In some states, according to Time, they give money on a first-come first-serve basis, and the sooner you fill it out, the less you need to worry about it later on.

Secondly, students stress about how to fill it out, but the FAFSA website explains how to do each section, and with the taxes filed from 2015, your tax return data can be transferred automatically, according to HomeRoom. The application asks questions that are relevant to you, making it a fairly fast process. 

Any student thinking about college to file their FAFSA. “It is almost as important as voting for president!” Bob Jones Senior Jacob Long said, “It is a very helpful tool to get money for college that you could otherwise never get.” Another senior Meleah Smith said, “It makes it fair for those who can’t afford college on their own.”

So stop stressing out about all of these fees and start applying. If you need help filing your FAFSA or have any other college questions, visit the College and Career Center upstairs by the library. Also, follow the College and Career Center on Twitter for more useful college information.

Useful links:

Everything you need to know

10 things to know

Key dates to know