NAHS and SNHS Partner Up to Create Eco-Friendly Art

(Image credit: Audrie Broadway)

Rebecca Shin, Writer

Students from National Art Honor Society and Science National Honor Society combine creativity and science to design environmentally friendly art made out of used water bottles.

Senior and co-vice president of SNHS came up with the idea to design and construct a sculpture out of recyclable water bottles. “I wanted to have a project that could promote the use of reusable water bottles rather than plastic ones,” said Claudia. “I wanted to take advantage of a very accessible resource to create something that would encourage our school to think twice about using plastic water bottles,” she said. Claudia wanted to offer a project that she said is relevant to science and recycling. 

Daniel Koifman, a senior, also stated, “We hope to increase people’s awareness about the importance of recycling.”

As of 2015, only 34% of all waste is recycled in the U.S. and roughly half of Americans don’t recycle at all. According to survey results from Kelton Global, 28% of the people who recycle occasionally don’t recycle often because they are unsure of what plastics are recyclable.

Senior Audrie Broadway stated that they wanted to make a visual statement that will also raise awareness of recycling among students.

The final design of the sculpture will be “… a sphere made of water bottles…,” said Daniel. It will also be interactive and students will be able to roll the sculpture around the courtyard where it will be on display.

According to Audrie, the students currently have two base rings completed that are about five feet tall and wide, but they hope to be finished with the sculpture before AP exams in the first week of May.

The final result of the sculpture and its arrival in the courtyard will be anticipated, bringing with it creativity and the message of the importance of recycling water bottles.