Stress: How the Little Things Can Make It Better

Love Lundy, Writer

Being in high school can be hard. Whether you have a schedule filled with AP classes and a club meeting to go to every other day, a student-athlete juggling games two days a week and homework all the time, or a student who is just going through the motions, getting a grade, and going home, you probably experience a decent amount of stress at some time or another. Stress is natural, and something that we all experience, but too much stress on teenagers can affect you very negatively; you may be underestimating your mental health and you don’t even know it. Even if you don’t have mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety (affecting the lives of many students), stress can still make you feel very down when you should be feeling up! Unfortunately, this is something that people brush off as just another complaint. It’s time to realize that the negative things in your life can hurt you more than you think. Here are some ways to make you feel better, regardless of if it’s just a confidence booster, a health helper, or a major stress reliever.

• Manage your time better.

If you take the time out of your day to think about what you need to do and set a time to start and finish those tasks, you are more likely to get them done quicker and in turn, give yourself more time to relax.

• Regulate your sleep schedule.

Studies show that stress can reduce how long and well you sleep, and the quality of your sleep can determine how stressed out you are. According to the Nationwide Children’s organization, teenagers from 13-18 are supposed to get 9 or more hours of sleep each night. The obligations of any teenager, ranging from homework, band practice, or an after-school game will likely make you have to stay up pretty late. However, the biological process of puberty can often force a shift in your sleep schedule anyway. Before puberty hits, it is common for a child to go to sleep around 9 PM, but your body decides that 10-11 PM is better for you when you start to grow up. So in this case, we can’t really blame ourselves. Regardless of the preset problems that may bring you down, you can try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. This will help your body functions regulate, get into a more natural cycle, and make you take into consideration how much sleep you’re getting. Tracking your sleep schedule can also help you figure out why you may be aggravated one day and jolly the next.

• Exercise!

For most teenagers, exercise is something that we don’t have time, energy, or interest for. It is a known fact that kids and teens need at least an hour of exercise everyday, but according to a nationwide study, 9 out of 10 students don’t get enough exercise. Not only do you actually need exercise to be healthy, but it also can benefit you more than just giving you the body you want. The AADA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) stated, “Studies show that it is very effective at reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration, and at enhancing overall cognitive function. This can be especially helpful when stress has depleted your energy or ability to concentrate.”

These and many other things can make your life less stressful and better overall. Self-care is most important, so remember that no matter how much you have going on or what you have to get done by 11:59 PM, keep in mind to take a deep breath and stay stress-free!