Freshmen: Adapting to the Demands of Homework

Jacob Nelson, Writer, Photographer

It’s no surprise that some kids have no idea how to study. Transitioning  from Discovery poses some hardships for someone who has never had to study. High school’s unforgiving nature may even be too much for some people.

If students miss a school day at Discovery, they get more help catching up. At Bob Jones, many teachers tell students what the missing work is and leave them to take care of it themselves.

In a poll of 21 freshmen, about 85% responded said that they needed to study harder to make the same grades they did at Discovery. Aaron Labbaoui confirmed this, saying “I’ve had to actually study for quizzes and tests.”

Studying in high school requires some strategy. “I’ve had to study longer and in more detail,” Shelby West, another student, said. “You have to read more outside of school in high school than in middle school, so more of your free time is taken up. I have had to start putting reminders in my phone for homework because every grade counts and getting the best grade possible is more important to me now. I also feel more motivated to study because of the importance of my grades and tests.”

Steven Satcher said, “I don’t study as much as I should when I’m at home, but I have been more swamped with homework and after school activities, which forces me to choose between sleeping or studying.”

In the poll, only a few freshmen students said, “I study less now than before.” Larson Stauch said, “I haven’t really changed my study habits, but my classes require me to take more notes so I can look at those when I need to have a quick review before a test.”

Most of the interviewed freshman seem to agree that high school is a new challenging adventure that some didn’t feel prepared to take. Bob Jones is a big jump up from middle school, and perhaps middle schools could prepare students more with study tips, firmer deadlines, and just a little homework.