BJHS Taekwondo New Year Party

Savannah Plume, Writer

Bob Jones Taekwondo starts off the New Year with a get together at a Taekwondo studio here in Madison, Jeong’s Yong In Martial Arts. At the party, they played games, sang karaoke, ate food, and overall had a fun time.

For those who do not know, Junior Yerim Jeong and her freshman sister, Yudam, run the Taekwondo Club here at Bob Jones. They meet every Friday in the downstairs commons area after school from 3:30 to 4:30.

Junior Victoria Marsh explains one of the games, “We split into two teams and each took a turn to bend down to the floor and pick up a paper bag with our mouths. Our knees could not touch the floor, otherwise, we were out. When both individuals finished, the bag would be cut to a new length. This kept going on until the bag was no more.” When the bag became shorter, the lower those playing had to get to the floor. This made for many to end up in the splits; flexibility being emphasized in the martial arts.

This new year party also allowed those who do not have much free time during school to relax and do activities they often could not before. Junior Chloe Darden said, “My favorite part of the party was the dodgeball tournaments we did. It was a lot of fun and I hardly ever get to play dodgeball so being able to play again was nice! Also, the food was great! Some people brought and made authentic Korean food and it was really good! There was cake which just topped it all off!”

Not only did club members have a good time, but past BJHS students like Jewoong Jeong and Gabe Kuenzli were able to visit. We miss all past club members and love to see them again outside of school.

Bob Jones Taekwondo started off the year in a positive way. Hopefully, it will stay this way. How will you spend your new year?