Top 3 Educational Smartphone Apps

Michael Kelly, Writer

As we all know, technology has only been getting better over the years, and with new technology comes new applications. In the year of 2018, teens are almost never seen without their smartphones. Although this obsessive usage may be more or less centered around non-educational activities, there is no doubt that young users have access to applications in the digital marketplace that can assist them in their academic needs (a survey conducted a Bob Jones High School revealed that all student participants have used a smartphone for academic purposes at least once). Let’s highlight the three most essentials apps that every student must have to make their school life easier.

Tired of those long, restless afternoon hours of sifting through stacks English books about citing in MLA? Probably not, considering this day and age… but look no further! Easybib has you covered! This innovative site automatically cites an array of sources ranging from written works dated back in the 1800’s, to digital works created just last Tuesday. Though this site is fairly popular among education system, not many know of its official phone application. The app works the similarly to its computer counterpart; however, it has an additional feature. Easybib can utilize your phone’s camera to automatically find your book’s citation in their database via barcode scanning. Its impressive efficiency in citing published works makes this an essential tool for college and high school students alike.

Another great student resource that has become widely known in schools as of late is Quizlet. Accessible through both computer and phone, this educational platform allows students to create digital flashcards that they can use to study traditionally or learn the content inputted through various fun mini-games centered around transferring short-term memory into the long term. In addition to its unique teaching style, Quizlet also offers students the option to collaborate with one another and share their personalized flashcards with the rest of the community. Hunter Worden, a frequent Quizlet user, had this to say about the platform, “I love Quizlet! I like how I can use it to study for almost anything and have the option to share content with my friends.”

In terms of uniqueness, Duolingo reigns supreme. This free service allows individuals to learn different languages through interactive activities that engage the users in a fun and simple learning experience. The premise is simple: select a language and complete the sequence of consecutive lessons that come with it. Each day, users complete a daily module that leads towards the completion of an overall weekly goal. Duolingo requires no payments upon entry; however, there is a premium subscription for those who want to learn ad-free and offline. Though this app does not serve as a standalone language course, it serves as a useful tool for reinforcing grammatical rules being taught in them.

From citation to translation, modern-day smartphones can do it all. With the help of improving technology, students with internet access can tremendously improve both their productivity and efficiency, ultimately carving a path for academic success.