Dear Fox, Where to?

Advice about life after High School.

Dear Fox, Columnist

Dear Fox,

How do you survive in the adult world after high school?

-Not an Adult

Good job on asking the most general question possible. Honestly I don’t want to give the answer to this because you’ve probably heard/read this before, but: networking. It’s honestly the most efficient way to get ahead. Which does, in fact, mean social interaction. (GASP) I know: it’s scary, but it’s kind of required. Take some internships, go to panels in your fields of interest, do some extracurriculars in college, all of this can not only help a resume, but also let you meet some important people along the way. This next bit is important once you’re paying for everything on your own: budgeting. Take your after-tax, after-bills income and set 20% aside for savings, anything else is free game, but prioritize groceries. It sounds like common sense, but I’ve seen people buy $300 technology and not get lunch for the week. You can also use a lot of apps to find quick coupons for stores. Also: don’t only eat fast food (despite it being delicious…), unless you’re also paying for a gym membership. You’d be surprised how often “cheap eating” takes a toll on your health.

Dear Fox,

The time is coming around that I have to start thinking about where I want to go to college and do with my life. How should I begin the process? How do I know I am making the right decisions?

From,

A.

Well, seniors should have probably decided by now (or take an off year to work and decide then) but juniors should honestly be decided over the summer. Take some trips to colleges you’re interested in, and make sure it has a good program in whatever field you want to go into. If you’re undecided, there’s not much to say other than try out some new things. You never know what you like until you try! To start off: complete the senior packet. It guarantees a letter of recommendation from the counselor, and literally allows your transcript to go on CommonApp. (Which is probably the best way to apply to a school that uses it) As for “right” decisions: there isn’t one right answer. Just like how there isn’t a “right” job. X job may pay Scrooge McDuck levels of money but be worse for you, while you love job Y, but the pay is less. Really, it’s up to you, and college-choice-wise: it doesn’t matter too much where your degree comes from as long as you have one in the field. Granted a degree from M.I.T. might be more than others, but that’s just name recognition.

Dear Fox,

I’m a little scared to leave home and go far away. Okay, maybe a lot scared. What are the best ways to avoid getting too homesick? How do I move on to a new adult kind of life?

Well, there’s no fixing emotions. Even if we know there’s no point in feeling a certain way, there’s not much we can do about how we feel. Two solutions are calling home and talking to a therapist/trusted friend. As for being more adult-like… I don’t think that’s a good aspiration. A sole judgement based on age is something people think is valid, but it’s not how long someone was alive that determines who they are as a person. You should mature, but not just become more “like an adult” as I’ve noticed it, adults aren’t much different from high-schoolers. Honestly, they just get paid more. So if you really want to become more like an adult, just get a job, but if it’s maturity you want, that’s a different concept. I honestly think that maturity is the ability to tolerate others, to have a civil conversation with someone whose opinion is different without getting upset that they don’t agree with you. Making yourself some solid ground that you’ll stick to no matter what, because fear is natural, but going on anyway is something that I think most adults could stand to learn.

Before I go, I’d like to thank everyone for their support along the way. Especially Mrs. Panagos for trusting a fox at a keyboard to write for Patriot Pages. Everyone who sent in an email, thanks as well, “Dear Fox” would have been over long ago if it weren’t for all of you, but unfortunately, it had to end sometime.

This is Dear Fox, going offline.