Kindness: It’s Part of a Bigger Picture

Erika Hardiman, Caleb McDonald

Erika Hardiman, Caleb McDonald, Video Director, Video Editor

February is Kindness Month, and as it comes to a close, we can appreciate all the scheduled activities that were organized by various organizations around Bob Jones. Mr. Congo and Mrs. Griffith worked with many students to make this month a kinder, gentler month. Mr. Congo said, “We hope that these activities will encourage our students to focus less on our differences and more on our commonality.” The students involved made videos to advertise different events and reminded students about daily events over the morning announcements.

The Random Acts of Kindness calendar began with students writing Thank You letters to the custodial staff and went on to include a range of small acts of kindness like holding a door open for someone to activities that required more effort, like learning how to say “please” and “thank you” in five different languages. Students used the #iambjhs hashtag to share some of their kind moments on social media. Next week, the results of the “Third Party Compliments” will be delivered to unsuspecting individuals.

February is just one month, and being kind can have a positive effect on our school culture if students are intentional about being kind all year long. On February 26th, students were asked to set a daily reminder on their phone to be kind. If you haven’t done that yet, take a moment and do so. A small act of kindness can really affect someone’s day, so choose to be kind each day, no matter what month it is.