“The Bob Loves The Rob”

Yunona Shkolnikov, Writer

Students of Madison City all adore Superintendent Robby Parker for his great personality, his success for keeping the Madison City Schools community in shape, and, of course, his power to able to cancel school days. Whether it’s snow, low temperature, or any harsh weather conditions, everyone hopes for a weather day. Since the temperature dropped mid-fall and throughout winter, students have been tweeting and addressing Parker online to do whatever he can to cancel school.

This “meme” has become a bit viral around the schools, and eventually led to the creation of an Instagram account called Robby Parker Fan Club. This account was created last December, and the word was spread throughout Bob Jones and James Clemens. The page, at first, had posted about asking Parker to extend winter break to have “just one more day to spend time with friends and family (…) away from imminent stresses of school and exams.” Later on, it was just posts about possible weather days and other email announcements from Robby Parker. The account has over 950 followers and is still increasing. In February, the owner announced that he will be selling Robby Parker merchandise. From hoodies to t-shirts, some students have bought these tops labeled “The Bob Loves The Rob”  and “JC Loves The Rob” for both high schools and on the back displays Parker’s staff photo.

Who is behind this iconic account? A sophomore at Bob Jones named Matt Osadcii created the page. He states, “Well I just saw the amount of hype and appreciation everyone had for snow says and Mr. Parker’s decisions as superintendent, so I figured I’d create an account where I could post updates on whether we had school or not and create a place to channel all that appreciation into a community. Plus it became kinda a meme so it’s just something fun.”

Matt shares that he emailed Parker for his permission to create shirts with him on it and also mentions that Parker himself follows the account. So far Matt has sold ten hoodies and a shirt by students messaging him their size and address. He explains, “I get the money either over PayPal or in person, and I use it to buy the merch from a company. I make a five dollar profit for every hoodie sale for the handling of the product and making the design.”

Osadcii hopes to reach a thousand Instagram followers, “I’m hoping eventually I’ll have most of BJ and JC students following.” He also shares that he would like to organize a Robby Parker event at school where all the students will meet up in their merchandise, eat food, and talk to others.