Summer Volunteering Opportunities

Taylor Theakston, Writer

Volunteering is one of the best things a person can do, and in a city such as Madison, there are an endless number of ways to make contributions to the community. Finding ways to provide assistance to those in need allows for you to make important change in someone’s life and also helps you explore passions of your own. Summer is an amazing time to aid those in your community. Whether you love animals or helping those with special needs, there is a place for you!

Huntsville Animal Services

The Huntsville Animal Services has an ongoing application time for those who are 16 or older. The volunteer work includes socializing with cats and dogs who are residents in the facility, aiding in exercise activities such as walking dogs, preparing toys for enrichment programs, and other important general tasks to help the shelter. If you or someone you know would be interested in helping this community of animal caregivers please contact Will Roberson at 256-883-3782.

Hospice Family Care

Hospice Family Care is a great place to volunteer for those who are 14 or older and are interested in bettering the lives of patients. Volunteers help support group activities and programs, prepare crafts, and act in further general tasks that involve caring for patients. An application and screening process must be completed. If you or anyone you know would be interested in contributing to changing the lives of those in Hospice Family Care, contact Gina Stephens (Volunteer Coordinator) at [email protected] .

Huntsville Botanical Garden

The Huntsville Botanical Garden is perfect for those who have experience in horticulture. The volunteer work includes being apart of The Garden Gang (the summer youth program in June and July) and various tasks of mowing, picking weeds, and further maintenance to keep up the beauty of the Botanical Garden. Volunteers can be 14 or older as long as 14 and 15 years olds have a guardian present. For more information on this amazing opportunity, contact the volunteer coordinator at [email protected] or at 256-830-4447.

Merrimack Hall Performing Arts Center

If you or those you know have a compassionate heart and interests in working with those of special needs, then volunteering at Merrimack Hall Performing Arts Center is perfect! The arts center puts on a summer camp during June 11th – 15th between 9:00 and 12:00. This summer camp will give someone many great friendships and also a fun job to work with students and adults of special needs. If interested, contact Jen Dicarlo at [email protected] You must be 13 or older.

While this varied list caters to many, there are also plenty of other options to explore, so get out there and change the community of Madison and Huntsville for the better!