SGA’s Manna House Halloween Fundraiser

Graphics by Shiyeon Ku

Nathan Humpal, Writer

Manna House is a public charity located in Huntsville, Alabama. Manna House assists people who are in need. Manna House’s support comes from donations and fundraisers held by the public. Next week the SGA of Bob jones will be hold a fundraiser for Manna House. As part of the fundraiser, students will be able to wear a costume to school on October 31 after buying a ticket. Students will be able to buy tickets from their first block teachers on October  29, 30 and 31. The money collected through the fundraiser will be donated directly to Manna House.

The types of costumes that of prohibited by the school are as follows:
No masks, hoods, or weapon-like items of any kind are allowed.
No fake blood, gore, or other substances that will spill or cause a mess will be allowed. No excessive face paint.
Students may not wear anything suggestive or provocative in nature. Underwear as outerwear will not be allowed.
Nothing that promotes the use of illegal substances or activities and derogatory or disrespectful or portrays violence.
Students must show respect for others by avoid costumes that are insensitive or offensive to diverse backgrounds.

There are still plenty of costumes that students can wear that meet the school’s guidelines.

Mrs. Murray, the SGA junior sponsor, stated, “We discussed ways to improve our community outreach and make a difference in the community. The SGA executive board members met with the sponsors and shared their desire to work with the Manna House. They wanted a program that was in need and one that we could see a way to serve their immediate needs. Several of our students and our ninth grade sponsor, Tracie Wade, volunteer throughout the year at the Manna House. Last year, we connected with the director and took a day field trip to Manna House where we made sandwiches, unboxed clothing, set out produce, and organized areas with other volunteers. Through the Halloween Costume fundraiser last year, we were able to raise $600 for Manna House and present them with a check before Christmas. It was a blessing to the teachers and students who attended the trip. When it was time to leave, the students asked to stay longer, but it was time for the doors to open to the needy. It was decided after that trip that this was a program we wanted to support.”

SGA freshmen sponsor Mrs. Wade said, “The Manna House is an amazing organization because it is there for all people no matter what race, creed, or economic status. You can come and get toiletries, diapers, food, desserts clothes, and your basic needs. If someone needs clothes for a job interview, the Manna House will provide with the help of donations. The Manna House runs off of volunteers and donations, and we are thankful to be a part of that.”

Show your support and get in the Halloween spirit!

Graphic by Sarah Williams