Bob Jones Makerspace Takes Shape

Sarah Roach, Writer

A makerspace is an area in a school, library, or other public facilities where people alike can learn and create with high tech tools or no tech tools. Soon the Bob Jones’ makerspace will be bigger and better.

A makerspace can benefit students in a plethora of ways. A makerspace is made up of a wide range of tools that help students develop new skills and discover new interests. Schooloutfitters.com says that almost all of these tools are very hands-on and allow the student to control their learning process. With the knowledge gained from a makerspace, students can discover a wide variety of new interests and even new career paths. A student who may have had no interest in wood carving before could easily find their passion for it by controlling their learning pace and practicing it in the makerspace. Makerspaces are also good for collaboration and sharing these new interests with others. Mrs. Huskey, our media specialist, said, “Often students are tasked with schoolwork and testing that rarely provides opportunities for creating, building, or making. A makerspace exposes students to new materials and media; allows them to explore and experiment; teaches them to take failure in stride, learn from it, adapt, then try again; and builds critical thinking skills.”

Students at Bob Jones were asked if they would be interested in utilizing their makerspace and what they would like to see in it. The vast majority of students said that they would make use of the makerspace if it included things they were interested in. These interests include things like sewing machines, button machines, laser cutters, 3D printers, and even technology they could assemble themselves. The no-tech equipment students would like to see are carving tools, clay, drawing stations, LEGO’s, and coloring books.

Lily Wingenter, a student, said, “I would like to see a 3D printer and virtual reality equipment because it’s fun and interactive.” Another student Michelle Resendiz-Villeda said, “I would like to see a 3D printer. I think it would be cool to make small figurines.” Surprise, Bob Jones. We already have a 3D printer in the Makerspace, and it costs $.25 per gram for printing.

In January, you’ll be able to enjoy the following:

Merge Cube – a virtual reality platform used with student smart phones
Sphero Bolt – coding robots
Raspberry Pi and Arduino kits
A larger green screen for video productions
Paper crafting and painting projects
Patterned and colorful duct tape
Legos
Sewing machine
In a dream world, Mrs. Huskey said she would like the following: “I would love to have the funding to purchase a couple of the Oculus Quest VR devices to use with a variety of virtual reality programs.”

Students are encouraged to make use of the makerspace and even voice their opinions on what they would like to see added to the makerspace. Students can email Mrs. Huskey and Mrs. Carroll with any suggestions or ideas.