AP Classes, Is It for You?

Arthur Johnson, Contributor

What is AP? Advanced Placement is a program in the United States created by the College Board which offers college-level curricula and examinations to high school students. As you can see from this graph shared by our admin, Bob Jones students do pretty well on AP tests.

AP classes may seem daunting at first. It is qualified as a college class, which means the workload will be that of a college student. By no means is the first AP class you take easy, but once you get the knack for spotting those pesky trick questions where it seems every answer is right and one is just maybe 2% more correct than the others, AP becomes a little easier.

Why should you take AP classes? Here are some reasons:

• If you pass both the AP class and the test in May, you get college credit and do not have to take that class during college, unless the college you attend does not take the AP credit.
  • AP classes prepare you for college-level classes.
  • AP classes prepare you for other AP classes you want to take.
  • If the worst comes, and the college makes you still take the class you took as AP in high school again, you will be extremely prepared as you have taken this class before and this material will be familiar.
  • Each AP class you take, you decrease the time you have to spend during college, meaning that you can even maybe a year of college if you take a lot of AP classes during high school.

There are even more reasons, like increasing your stress threshold. So is AP right for you? Discuss it with your counselor.