Mardi Gras: Unmasked

Adam Tong, Contributor

Did you get the joke I just did in the title?

Right.

So what really is Mardi Gras? It’s definitely more than just wearing masks and beads right? Mardi Gras, which is March 1st, is actually the last day of the ‘Mardi Gras’ season (also known as Carnival). It begins on January 6th, which is known as Epiphany

Carnival is a time of celebration with that being parades, dancing, feasting, etc. All of that which culminates on, you guessed it, Mardi Gras. Which is also known as ‘Fat Tuesday’, as well as being the last day before Ash Wednesday. For those unaware, Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, which is a primarily Catholic observance. Fat Tuesday gets it name from when people would try to eat up all the “fat” before the leaner days of lent would begin. As someone who’s experienced observing Lent myself, it’s known as a time following up to Easter that tends to be a little more serious. People will often “give up” something during this time as a kind of penance. Whether that be something as simple as sweets or abstaining from social media. Small things like that, some bigger.

Carnival and Mardi Gras is celebrated traditionally in France similarly to how it is celebrated here in the United States. You know, the parades and all that fun stuff. However, each region/city of France likes to lay down its own twist on how they celebrate! As you may have guessed, this holiday is linked to the Roman Catholic Church, so really any country considered traditionally Catholic will most likely celebrate this holiday in their own way. Here in the US, it is mostly found celebrated in Southern areas, where the French settled. Schools in these regions may even get out of school for several days! (Lucky.) However, you’ll find this holiday celebrated in larger cities of the US too.

We have our own French club here at Bob Jones. How are they planning to celebrate? I’ve asked the French teacher and club sponsor Mrs. Mooney (Quick shout-out), if she has had any plans for the holiday.

“They are buying King Cakes for all of the French classes. Students in French classes this semester will participate in a “no learning” kind of day with a Food Day and probably a movie. French Club members who aren’t in class are welcome to swing by my classroom throughout the day in order to enjoy some King Cake and even hand out a little if their teachers will let them. In the past, we decorated the World Language Department hallway and my classroom with tons of purple, gold, and green Mardi Gras decorations. We have also done trivia contests each block and the prize is a King Cake delivered to that classroom. Unfortunately, we won’t be doing that this year but I hope to bring it back next year. “

Now it just wouldn’t be Mardi Gras if I ever so neglected to mention King Cake! For those unaware, King Cake is a special cake prepared for occasion. It’s pretty much a blend of coffee cake and cinnamon roll, decorated with the colors of Mardi Gras. It’s packed with many fruit fillings and cream cheeses. That’s not even the fun part though. Deep within this sweetness lies a very special surprise: a plastic king cake baby! Perhaps to the commoner it doesn’t seem like much, but that’s what makes this cake fun. You try and find the baby as you eat it! It’s said to symbolize luck and prosperity to whoever finds it. Who knows. It could just be you, the reader!

I’d say that’s about the gist of it. Certainly is more than just masks and beads, yeah? I’ve always found this holiday peculiar in a fascinated manner. Remember, you’re welcome to visit Mrs. Mooney’s classroom for some delicious King Cake if desired. It’s a day of celebration, it wouldn’t hurt. Enjoy responsibly.

Happy Mardi Gras, Bob Jones 🙂

Abby Neely’s beads from French class today