Inside the Yearbook Staff

Inside the Yearbook Staff

Nathaniel Jasper, Writer

The yearbook staff has started to work on the 49th yearbook for Bob Jones. The theme and the style have already been chosen, and the staff is excited about it. ”I think the theme this year is really cute and different,” says sophomore Lexiana Winnegan.  

The staff is led by juniors Amelie Golos and Alegih Hayward. Golos said that she started to participate in Yearbook since her seventh grade year at Discovery: ”I was an editor there, so I thought it would be fun to join the yearbook staff here.” Hayward has been a part of the staff since her freshman year and said, ”The old editors influenced and trained me last year. I love the people involved in it and love to edit.”  

The advisor is freshman English teacher Mrs. Mann. Mann decided to become the advisor at the end of the 2022 school year. ”I thought it would be a fun thing to teach as an extracurricular activity,” she said. ”The old advisor decided her time was up with the class, and Mrs. Horton came to me with the opportunity.” Mrs. Mann took a yearbook class in the 10th grade and two journalism classes in college. With her experience, she thought she could do a good job leading the class. ”She is a very good teacher,” said twelfth grader Jordan McGowen, who was also on the Yearbook staff last year. ”I think she is going to be a good leader and adviser for us.”

While the class may be more unique than others, the students still face many challenges. There are high expectations to create a quality product for the student body to see. ”You have to write the stories, and it’s a lot of pressure knowing other people will see it,” said junior Laiken Justice. 

Also, working with classmates can sometimes be a roadblock. Sophomore Cass Congdon says Yearbook would be a lot easier with ”cooperative spread partners.” Despite this, she said that being on the Yearbook staff is not incredibly tedious: ”It is tasking, but it is not terribly hard.” McGowen said something similar: ”At first it is difficult, but over time it gets easier.”

Yearbooks are now $80. Seniors can create their ads now on Jostens. 

Yearbooks | Reserve Your School’s Yearbook Today – Jostens | Jostens

Mrs. Mann