Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spooky and Sweet Halloween Treats

Spooky and Sweet Halloween Treats

Halloween is the time of year for scary movies, parties, and trick-or-treating, but it’s also a time for seasonal treats. Halloween offers a wide array of delectable and spooky-themed delights. According to a student survey, spiced cupcakes are one of the favorite Halloween treats, along with caramel apples, candy corn and other candies that are handed out when trick-or-treating. 

Spiced cupcakes recipe (From theflourhandprint.com):

If you’re looking for a recipe that will appeal to the crowd and work for most occasions, a great option is spiced cupcakes. This recipe requires the following:

For cupcakes: all-purpose flour (1 3/4 cups)

1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves, unsalted butter, softened( 3/4 cup), brown sugar (3/4 cup), white sugar (shallow 1/2 cup), 4 large eggs, 3 tsp vanilla extract,  milk( 1/2 cup)

For frosting: unsalted butter, (softened 1/2 cup), cream cheese, (softened 1/2 cup),1 tsp vanilla extract, pinch salt, 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Step one is to preheat your oven to 325°F and line a muffin tin with liners. 

Step two: Combine all the dry ingredients: flour, spices, salt, and baking powder, in a bowl and whisk to blend. Set aside.

Step three: In a large bowl, beat the sugars and butter together until blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium speed.

Step four: Add one egg at a time, beating each addition into the sugar/butter mixture completely before adding the next one.

Step five: Add in the milk and vanilla and beat until completely incorporated as well. 

Step six: Add the dry ingredients into the wet batter and using a rubber spatula or spoon, fold the flour into the mix. Continue to gently lift and fold, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl until all the flour is incorporated and no dry spots remain.

Step seven: Scoop into the cupcake liners so they’re 3/4 of the way full. Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes. When the tops are golden brown and spring back against a gentle touch, or a toothpick inserted comes out clean, remove from the oven.

Step eight: Take baked cupcakes out of the tin and onto a cooling rack to cool, then repeat with the remaining batter.

Step nine: Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting or storing. Store unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container for 2 days at room temperature or in the fridge for 1 week.

Step ten: Beat together cream cheese, butter, salt, and vanilla until well blended and creamy.

Step eleven: Add one cup of sifted powdered sugar at a time, beating between each addition until all the powdered sugar is added and you have a creamy, sweet frosting with no lumps.

Step twelve: Add to the piping bag or decorate cool cupcakes as desired.

Step thirteen: Store unused frosting in the fridge for 1 week, and store frosted cupcakes in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to come to room temp before serving.

Caramel apples recipe (From cookingclassy.com):

Another favorite treat according to students is caramel apples. Here’s another recipe to use for any Halloween occasion. This recipe requires apples, store-bought caramels, heavy cream, and optional toppings, such as sprinkles or crushed Oreos.

Step one: Prepare apples: Rinse and thoroughly dry apples with a paper towel. Insert a caramel apple stick into the center of each apple. Have toppings ready if you’ll be adding some to apples.

Step two: prepare pan to rest apples on: Line a 13 by 9-inch baking sheet or baking dish with a sheet of parchment paper, spray parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray, set in the fridge.

Step three: Add caramels and cream to bowl: Place caramels and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl (about 5 cup size bowl).

Step four: Melt in microwave: Heat in microwave for thirty second increments, stirring well between intervals, until melted and smooth. (Should take two-three minutes)

Step five: dip apples one at a time into caramel on an angle so it covers nearly to the top center Rotate and turn to coat the apple.

Step six: Lift the apple and let excess caramel runoff, then run the bottom of the apple along the inside edge of the bowl to remove excess caramel.

Step seven: Lift the apple and turn the apple upside down to let caramel run up the apple a little, then immediately roll in toppings before caramel sets.

Step eight: Turn apples upright and place on a prepared baking sheet in the fridge, repeat the process with remaining apples. As needed reheat caramel in the microwave in 15 second increments for a runny, dip-able consistency.

Step nine: Allow caramel to set completely, about thirty minutes in the fridge. 

If you’re looking for a fun way to celebrate Halloween, making treats is a great way to do it! Be creative and let your imagination run wild. These two recipes are only a start to the Halloween treats you can make. Happy Halloween and happy snacking!

About the Contributor
Kimberly Besherse
Kimberly Besherse, Contributor
I'm Kimberly Besherse, and I'm a senior. I'm in choir and NHS. Right now I'm interested in attending UNA and majoring in graphic design. Some of my interests other than writing are drawing things such as fashion illustrations, scrapbooking, and singing.