Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Best and Worst of Halloween Candy

Picking out the best candy for your trick-or-treaters can be a daunting task as candy trends seem to change every year, but hopefully, this guide will ease your mind and help you pick out the best possible sweets for your bowl. If you’re trick or treating yourself, hopefully, your bag will be full of the good stuff.

Let’s start with the best candies for Halloween. We surveyed students at Bob Jones High School and got their opinions on what candy they are most looking forward to receiving this fall. We asked, “What is the best candy you can get on Halloween?” The top four responses were as follows: Hershey’s Chocolate Bars, Twix, REECE’S Peanut Butter Cups, and Snickers.

65% of the responses fall under these four candies, so they are definitely good options to add to your candy collection this Halloween. Hershey’s Chocolate Bars took the number one spot with 11 votes for being the best candy. Coming in at number two would be Twix, receiving 7 votes. Some students like freshman Chloe McCloud could not decide on just one candy, so in third place, each with 6 votes is REECE’S Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers.

Many students such as sophomore Yahia Altubuh did not specify what brand they prefer and simply listed “chocolate” as the best candy, so as long as you have that available, your house is sure to be a hit. If you are still worried and want to go the extra mile, you could invest in some full-size candy bars. While it is a bit of a splurge depending on your budget, kids are bound to be lining up at your door once they hear the news.

Now that we have figured out the best candy to buy this year, let’s talk about what we should avoid. Almost everyone who took the survey agreed that these candies are no good and there is no use in buying them this Halloween. In third place, each with 5 votes, are Tootsie Rolls and Almond Joy. In second place with a total of 6 votes is non-candy items. This should be a surprise to no one. You may think you’re being useful and looking out for others by passing out toothbrushes or raisins, but no child is going to appreciate that. There is yet another tie on the list with each candy getting 8 votes. The title of “The Worst Halloween Candy” in 2023 goes to Twizzlers and Candy Corn.

Unless you are looking for a way to limit the number of visitors you receive this Halloween, avoid all of the candies previously listed and instead purchase the top candies of the year before they run out.

About the Contributor
Jayla Worsham
Jayla Worsham, Contributor
My name is Jayla Worsham, and I am a senior at Bob Jones. I am in Mu Alpha Theta, NEHS, and Patriot Paws. I like to bake random recipes I find on TikTok, read books suggested by my friends, and watch bad horror movies like The Velocipastor. I am planning on going to the University of South Alabama and majoring in something like biology or health sciences. I'm still trying to decide on a career, but I think occupational therapy would be a good option.