Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Get Lost in Labyrinth!

With the promise of spring break just around the corner, many people are becoming restless. I mean, there’s only so much you can do around town other than spend money, spend money, and… spend money. But, if this sounds like you, there’s now a limited-time fix to your troubles! Admittedly, it’s another money-spender, but one that’s well worth it. Labyrinth, the 1986 Jim Henson movie, is returning to theaters March 6 and 10! (Find showtimes near you and purchase tickets HERE).

Now, if you’re uncultured, you may be asking, “Well, why should I spend money to see some stupid old movie?” All I ask is for you to trust me when I say, you will find that Labyrinth is far more than just some “stupid old movie”.

For starters, the movie was directed by none other than Jim Henson: the man, the myth, and the muppet-making legend. If you only know Jim Henson from The Muppets or Sesame Street, you’re in for a bit of a rude awakening with the puppetry seen in this movie. Elmo and Kermit the Frog are most commonly associated with Henson, and for good reason – they’re goofy, loveable puppets that are highly unlikely to give children nightmares (That doesn’t mean they’re entirely incapable of being sleep paralysis demons… not that I would know). But the puppets in Labyrinth are polar opposites to the residents of Sesame Street. They all have a borderline uncanny feel, capturing the stereotypical hideous looks of goblins. At certain points, you may find yourself questioning whether you should laugh or cry in fear, which is certainly the movie-going experience I strive for.

But, maybe you have a crippling fear of puppets, to which I raise a *very* simple point: David Bowie. For those who don’t know, Bowie was one of the many iconic British musicians from the ’70s and ’80s glam rock scenes. He plays the main antagonist of the film, Jareth, while looking adequately… Bowie-esque as he sings and dances his way through this lucid dream of a movie. No one else kidnaps babies quite like Bowie!

But maybe you hate people! If that’s the case, I suggest you watch the film for the aesthetics. Yes, I know, when you hear the word aesthetic, images of Pinterest boards with the same five “cottagecore” or “dark academia” pictures probably come to mind. Forget those Pinterest boards for just a minute: imagine a beautiful, fantastical world filled with various curious creatures, gorgeous architecture and landscapes, and impeccable styling. Now, forget everything I just said because this is a cheesy movie from the 80s. Sure, those core ideas are there; they’re just not perfectly executed (to put it lightly), which, believe it or not, makes the film more enjoyable. Really, it’s the fashion aspect that strikes people the hardest. Some of the most memorable fashion choices include Sarah’s ballgown, which many kids dream of owning, Hoggle’s grimy attire, and even Jareth’s pants, which are… a core memory for many people, to say the least.

About the Contributor
Lily Shelton
Lily Shelton, Contributor
Hey everyone! My name is Lily, and I'm a junior. This is my third year writing for Patriot Pages and my second year working on The Eclectic, both of which I love. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and kayaking. I also have a (not-so-secret) secret obsession with the show House, M.D. I hope to attend Auburn after I graduate and major in journalism!