International Women’s Day

Thursday, March 8th was International Women’s Day and in celebration, some companies went wild, to say the least. McDonald’s, for the first time in its history, has flipped its well universally well-known golden arches. This started in Lynwood, California by a woman who owns and operates the McDonald’s, to celebrate women everywhere. By Thursday all of McDonald’s social media profiles displayed an upside down “M”.

KFC in Malaysia even embraced International Women’s Day by changing Colonel Sanders to his wife Claudia Sanders. They even made a short YouTube video explaining Mrs. Sanders influence in the company. ”We could not have been the company we are now without Claudia’s contributions,” said David Novak, KFC’s president and chief executive.

The support for women did not stop at food chains. Google also created 12 interactive illustrations from female artist all around the country including Japan, Pakistan, and Mexico. The doodles included stories of love and growing older. One artist, Isuri Merenchi Hewage from Sri Lanka said, “It’s a day that makes my heart happy to hear and see women all around the world say, ‘We’re women, we’re here, and we’ll keep fighting.’”

On Tuesday, March 6th Barbie unveiled new dolls based on Amelia Earhart, Frida Kahlo, Katherine Johnson and other influential women throughout history and modern day. The dolls will soon be able to purchase worldwide but for right now they are available on the Barbie website.

Closer to home here at Bob Jones, our own YAFE club did something, too. “I’m apart of Young Advocates for Equality. A club for race and gender equality.” Audrey Harper, a YAFE officer, stated, “Yesterday, we got together and took some pictures as well as discussed the importance of women and the contribution women have made to the world.”

Kiara Gunn, Writer

Hey! My name's Kiara Gunn. I'm a senior at Bob Jones. I want to double major in Professional Writing and Secondary Education with a concentration in English...

Casey Kula, Writer

Hola everyone in the mythological universe! My name is Casey Kula, a Junior at Bob Jones High School! I am in the Eclectic Staff and in Patriot...

Savannah Plume, Writer

Heyo! My name is Savannah Plume. At the moment I have an interest in writing and programming. I also enjoy singing in choir and am interested in learning...

Janice Hendrick, Writer

I'm a 17-year-old girl who loves sarcastic conversations. I was a figure skater for 6-7 years and am drum major in the Band. The thought of the future...

• International Women’s Day

News

Potential New Driving Laws for Alabama

• International Women’s Day

News

Computer Science Education Week – Why It Is Something to Celebrate

• International Women’s Day

News

Stopping Climate Change Dead in its Tracks

• International Women’s Day

News

SpaceX Falcon 9: MCS Behind the Scenes

• International Women’s Day

News

Now Let Us Pray… Or Not.

• International Women’s Day

News

November: Diabetes Awareness Month

• International Women’s Day

News

Stop in the Name of the Bus

• International Women’s Day

News

Bless this House: Election Results

• International Women’s Day

News

November: Military Family Month

• International Women’s Day

News

Madison City Government Adds New Traffic Lights on Hughes

International Women’s Day