From Floods to Flurries: Doubting the Groundhog’s Prediction

Brandon Clark, Writer

From tornado watches and floods to snow to more floods… It’s interesting weather we’re having. WAFF posted this weather graphic online:

This year, many viewers were excited to see Bill Murray return to his Groundhog Day character in one of the biggest Super Bowl ads. It was the perfect day to air this ad because the Super Bowl did indeed fall on Groundhog Day. Groundhog Day, surprisingly, stems from German tradition. Now we associate Groundhog Day with Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. If the groundhog sees his shadow, there would be a predicted six more weeks of winter. If the groundhog does not see his shadow, there would be an early spring. 

This year Punxsutawney Phil, the most prominent of all the existing groundhog forecasters, did not see his shadow. Of course, with the drop in temperatures tonight and the chance of snow flurries, it’s kind of hard to believe that groundhog’s prediction.

Brenna Powell, a sophomore, expressed, “I think that it is a fun tradition even if there is no proof that it is actually true.”  

Whether we believe in the prognostication of a groundhog or not, we can still hope for the magic of a possible school delay.

Also, if you want to watch the Bill Murray Super Bowl ad, you can see the ad HERE.