Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Let’s Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month!

Hispanic Heritage Month starts on September 15th and lasts until October 15th, yet most will celebrate until the end of October or the start of November. It spans throughout the middle of these two months due to the alignment of national independence days in Latin American countries, such as Honduras, Mexico, and Nicaragua. The term Hispanic is a blanket term, including all Spanish-speaking countries, territories, and Spain. However, most individuals use the terms Latino, Latina, and Latinx, which is all of Latin America, including Brazil, which speaks Portuguese, not Spanish, and not Spain.

In the era of colonization, France, Spain, and Portugal had conquered most of Latin America. While Haiti was the first country to secede from European rule, it is not recognized as a Hispanic country, as it was under French rule. However, the rest of the colonies followed once Mexico began to fight against Spanish rule, and all of South America, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Brazil seceded from the Iberian Peninsula (where Spain and Portugal are located). Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines did not gain independence until much later; however, we still celebrate them as they also have roots from Spain.

As a Mexican and Puerto Rican, I take great pride in my heritage and culture. I love to teach people about my background, the historical figures that aided the Hispanic movement, and even better—share different types of food! We have some great food, like tostones and arroz con gandules in Puerto Rican culture, and Mexico mainly celebrates Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead in English, which is held at the end of October to honor our ancestors and family who have passed. The Day of the Dead is mainly associated with beautifully colorful skulls or calaveras in Spanish and bright decorations. My favorite part is the baked bread my mom makes every year. It’s to die for!

Hispanic Heritage Month is a time full of fun and learning experiences. This is a time to honor our ancestors and heroes, past and present, and thank them for their contributions to Hispanic history and culture. Below, I have compiled a list of some well-known Hispanic figures:

• Sonia Sotomayor – The first Latina to serve on the Supreme Court, has remained a judge since 2009
  • Rodolfo “Corky” Gonzales – Mexican-American boxer, poet, and political activist for the Chicano Movement in Denver, CO in the 1960s and 70s
  • Cesar Chavez – American civil rights activist and labor leader who, alongside Dolores Huerta, co-founded the National Farm Workers Association (NFWA)
  • Dolores Huerta – co-founded NFWA, which later became United Farm Workers (UFW) and is known for the phrase “Sí, se puede” or “Yes, you can” in English
  • Selena Quintanilla – “Queen of Tejano Music;” Selena was a Tejano-American singer who changed the Mexican-American music industry and was tragically killed at age 23 by Yolanda Saldívar
  • Frida Khalo – A Mexican-American painter who was known for her works and self-portraits that were inspired by the nature of Mexico

With all that being said, let’s celebrate this incredible month and our heroes! Time flies when you’re having fun, so jump into some arts and crafts, listen to some bachata and merengue, and have a bite of some amazing food!

About the Contributor
Elena Saorrono
Elena Saorrono, Contributor
Hi! I'm Elena and I'm a senior here at Bob Jones. I am a member of my school's Spanish club, Spanish Honor Society, a leader of writing club, and a vice president of Taekwondo club. Some of my hobbies include writing, reading, drawing, baking, jewelry making, collecting CDs, and reviewing and listening to music. A few of my interests are learning languages and different branches of science. I plan on attending Indiana University to pursue a career in forensic science and psychology.