Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Heather Hits Home

Heather Hits Home

North Alabama has been hit with an arctic blast, and her name is Heather. Last week, temperatures dropped to dangerous lows, and the roads became covered in snow and ice. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of last week are all called impact days because these days are when the arctic blast hit with temperatures below zero, including wind chills. Alabama has not had weather this cold in the past 50 years.

Roads were barricaded for sleet, snow, and ice. Residents were being urged to wear multiple clothing layers and to cover their heads and ears while out in the freezing weather. Travel conditions were dangerous, and weather officials were urging people to stay indoors as much as possible while Heather passed through the south. Driving was also dangerous because the south is not equipped with salt trucks that cover the roads in salt that prevents ice and snow from sticking to them. Nor does the south have snow plows to clear the roads.

On Monday, it snowed overnight, and the roads were covered in the morning. On Tuesday, the temperature dropped again, this time freezing the snow onto the roads and creating a thick layer of ice. Many Bob Jones students spent their time sledding (some with sleds and some without) because of how slippery the ice-covered roads were. Others spent their time catching up on sleep, reading, and journaling. The roads are mostly clear of snow now; however, small patches of ice remain on areas of roads that do not see much sunlight.

Luckily for students and school staff members, Governor Kay Ivey also declared a state of emergency; therefore, Madison City and many parts of Alabama will not have to make up any days that schools have been closed.

The aftermath of Heather caused lines to wrap around the entirety of stores, as many people ran low or out of essential household items and food while the city was shut down. Schools opened back up on Tuesday, one week after the initial storm, and people are trying to get back into their routines at school and work to regain a sense of normalcy after getting an extra winter break. 

About the Contributor
Lizzie Owens
Lizzie Owens, Contributor
I'm Lizzie, and I am a senior. I enjoy writing, listening to music, and skateboarding (even though I'm not very good at it). I am very interested in cinematography and anything to do with art. I am going to the University of Montevallo next year, and I want to be a technical writer after college.