Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Underclassmen Dance… Yay or Nay?

Hey underclassman, do you ever feel left out when prom time comes around? Are you saying to yourself, “ I can’t wait until next year” or “ I wish I was a junior or senior”? 

Well, what if there was a dance just for you? I think that there should maybe be a separate dance for underclassmen, just like prom. Personally, I feel bad for underclassmen, mainly because I remember the days when I couldn’t go to the prom with my friends or when I felt left out around prom time. Yes, underclassmen have Homecoming, BUT so does everyone else in the school.

Not everyone is a fan of an underclassmen event. Some surveyed students said it would take away from seniors, and others said prom is a special time just for upperclassmen. “We have Homecoming; also, prom is supposed to be special.” Another student shared that “…prom is something you’re supposed to look forward to as an underclassman.”

A dance for underclassmen doesn’t have to take away from upperclassmen, though.

Maybe they have a winter formal?

I think this would be the perfect way to give underclassmen a special dance that isn’t around prom and graduation time. This would be a great way for them to relieve all the stress from finals and give the students something to look forward to, maybe even as a reward for good behavior. Some surveyed students agreed with this. “I think it should be around Christmas time” and “A winter dance could be nice.”

Others also took a different approach by suggesting something different altogether. “Maybe something less fancy,” like a casual dance. I remember hearing about some schools having a neon glow party dance, which could be as casual or fancy as students want it to be.

I definitely feel like a dance for underclassmen, even if it’s just something small and casual, would be great.

About the Contributor
Mallory Leslie, Contributor
My name is Mallory, a senior at Bob Jones. Right now I'm only a basketball cheerleader, but I'm looking to join a club... just waiting on approval. My hobbies include going to work. I don't have any specific college interests, but I know I want to go out-of-state or in-state, but far far away from Huntsville. I want to study psychology and counseling to be a counselor in the future.