Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Patriot Path: For Better or for Worse

Patriot Path: For Better or for Worse

Patriot Path is one of the few things most students look forward each week. It is a chance to indulge in hobbies and interests and take a break from the droning humdrum of daily school activities. That is why it has been disappointing when Patriot Path has been canceled to suit an immediate need within that week. Some of these reasons are understandable, such as four-day weeks. Other reasons may make less sense to many students, such as weeks in which there’s mandated testing. Students have to take an exhausting test, AND we lose Patriot Path? It seems like a week in which students would appreciate time to relax.

When asked about the impact and impression of Patriot Path and the changes made to it, many students responded that they were unfazed by the changes. One common comment made was that many students use Patriot Paths as a way to connect with friends they wouldn’t normally see. When Patriot Path has been canceled in the past, these students have often expressed their frustration with their opportunity to enjoy themselves during the week. On the opposite side of the coin, others find the existence of Patriot Path frustrating. Students who function best with a well-defined structure may rather have no Patriot Path.

When asking freshmen about their experience through their orientation during their first 9 weeks, one responded, “It felt really unfair… almost like we were being punished for the previous 9th-grade class’s faults.” Another responded, “Patriot Path was the one thing we were told to look forward to at Bob Jones. It feels like false advertising, and it really upset all the students and teachers involved.” Many other students added that the 9th-grade orientation was restricting teachers who held regular paths and limited the options for Patriot Path for those not attending the 9th-grade orientation.

When asking teachers about Patriot Path, one stated that “Patriot Path often conflicts with my testing schedule and can be fairly inconvenient for both me and my students.” Another teacher commented saying, “It’s a great way for teachers to bond with students, but it can interfere with lesson plans.” Most teachers felt like Patriot Path is a good thing.

In summary, students often have mixed feelings about Patriot Path in both its cancellations and the changes that have been made this year. Patriot Path is what you make it, for better or for worse. 

About the Contributor
Conrado Jocson
Conrado Jocson, Contributor
"Hi, I'm Conrado Jocson (Kon-rah-doh Hoc-sun). I'm a freshman here at Bob Jones. I participate in their Cross Country team. I am also a First Class Scout in BSA troop 201 and also hold a 1st-degree blackbelt in Tang Soo Do. I enjoy writing stories in my spare time as well as drawing and storyboarding comics. I look to others for inspiration on what to write and apply tiny bits of it to my writing. I am interested in the history and advancement of military technology and how the digital world works. I have a goal to become either a software or hardware engineer after graduating college.