Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Statutory Civics Exam

In 2017, the Alabama Legislature passed a law that states that all high school seniors are required to take and pass an American civics test to graduate. The test is based on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services exam. To pass the exam, students are required to earn a score of 60 or higher. If a student does not pass the exam on their first attempt, they will have to retake the test in their government class until they can score a 60 or higher; otherwise, they will not be allowed to graduate. Government teachers work with students to prepare for the exam throughout the entirety of the nine-week course. From personal experience, I believe my Government teacher prepared my class for the exam. I believe all of my friends who took the exam passed it on their first attempts, as did I. However, I have a friend who took the government and Economics courses online over the summer and they have yet to take the exam. There is also a significant time gap between them having taken the course and the date that they will take the exam. This puts them at a disadvantage when taking the test because the information taught in the government course will not be fresh on their mind, meanwhile, me and my peers got to study for the test in class leading up to the time we took the exam. My peers and I have debated when in our future educational careers or future careers in general, we were wondering when we will use the fact that we passed the exam to our advantage and we concluded that we have no use for having taken the exam. Although it was quite easy to pass in my opinion, I have yet to find a use for my passing score on the test. Overall, the information on the test could be useful for trivia, however, I see no point in the exam itself other than a fancy final grade in the government class. At least I know that I can name the first president of the United States, I suppose.

About the Contributor
Lizzie Owens
Lizzie Owens, Contributor
I'm Lizzie, and I am a senior. I enjoy writing, listening to music, and skateboarding (even though I'm not very good at it). I am very interested in cinematography and anything to do with art. I am going to the University of Montevallo next year, and I want to be a technical writer after college.