Our Australian Friends

Payton Gloschat, Photographer

On Friday, a group of Australian students toured Bob Jones and visited 5-10 different classrooms. They’re here on a tri-city tour, spending most of their time in Huntsville, Orlando, and San Francisco experiencing the typical tourist destinations. After journeying 20+ hours, the general Australian consensus was that the time change was tough, the food at Space Camp contains too much sugar and salt, and people here are generally friendly.

While in Huntsville, they attended Space Camp. They all seemed to enjoy Mission and the scuba diving simulation of zero G. They also spent an afternoon at Bob Jones to see what a typical day is like in an American high school and then they will attend the JC football game this evening.

Bob Jones students enjoyed the experience as well. They discussed language, politics, religion, and government, but they spent most of their time talking about cultural differences, memes, and music. They also enjoyed talking about food, and the Australian students let students sample everything from candies to Vegemite.

Johnathan Hampton, a junior, said, “It’s interesting to see how other people see things and their view point on stuff.” He asked them a question about the invasive cane toads, to which an Australian student responded, “Kill them off.”

The Australian students confirmed that there are big spiders and snakes and noted language differences, such as biscuits instead of scones, sunnies for sunglasses, and chuck instead of vomit.

Of course, each Australian group noted the pervasive use of the word “ya’ll.”

Some of the students also did the same tour two years ago, and hopefully, Bob Jones students can visit them in Australia one day.