Godspell Tryouts

Kaley Bush, Writer

The Bob Jones Drama Department is scheduled to perform the musical Godspell.

On November 5th and 6th, students will sign contracts and begin learning the dance; they will also be allowed to ask questions about the choreography.  Tryouts officially begin afterward. On the 8th, there will be a males-only audition.  Females will audition on the 9th.  Along with the dance, the tryouts will include a one-minute monologue with a one-minute song selection. The song selection must be instrumental or sheet music with no lyrics and/or acapella.

Mrs. Davis is excited about tryouts and even more excited about performing Godspell. “I chose Godspell because it is a powerful show that I believe the community will enjoy watching.” It is a show for all people of all ages.

Mtishows.com says Godspell is “drawing from various theatrical traditions, such as clowning, pantomime, charades, acrobatics, and vaudeville, GODSPELL is a groundbreaking and unique reflection on the life of Jesus, with a message of kindness, tolerance, and love.”

Tori Weldon says, “I am so used to focusing entirely on the technical and theatrical side of theatre.  How I will be bringing in the musical and dancing side of it, is something I am very much looking forward to.”

Students are excited, too.  Savannah Graner said, “I am excited for this musical because I am majoring in musical theatre and every opportunity to get on stage and perform is a good opportunity. Being in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers my freshman year is actually the show that made me fall in love with musical theatre. Fingers crossed that I will be a part of Godspell in my last musical for Bob Jones.”

Interested students should see Mrs. Davis.