What Can You Do for Earth Day?

Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels

Katie Steele, Writer

We all love the Earth, right? After all, it is everyone’s home. The Earth doesn’t get enough credit. Most of the time when Earth Day comes around, some people don’t even notice it is here or they find out days later. We need to find ways to make Earth Day even more well known; the Earth deserves it. 

Earth Day happens annually on April 22nd. It is something that you remember more as a kid and tend to forget about as you grow up. Many people don’t know how Earth Day even started to begin with. The first Earth Day was in 1970, and every year April 22nd marks the anniversary of the start of the modern environmental movement. It started in an attempt to raise awareness on how many gases and toxic chemicals that companies were spilling out, unconcerned about the consequences this had on the environment. Senator Gaylord Nelson noticed this and was concerned about the deteriorating environment. He chose Senator Pete McCloskey to be his co-chair to help him educate younger people about these issues. He also brought along Denis Hayes, a young activist, so that he could choose a day for them to do teach-in classes about the environment on campuses. The day chosen was April 22nd. While this happened in 1970, Earth Day didn’t go global until around 1990. For more information on the origins of Earth Day, you can visit their official website by clicking here.

As for Earth Day in the 21st century, around one billion people take some sort of measure to be more environmentally conscious. Bob Jones student Brenna Oxley stated, “I think Earth Day is underappreciated, and more people should make the effort to celebrate it.” There are many ways to celebrate Earth Day. It can be simple, like picking up any trash or plastic that you see. Or, you can stop using plastic for the day. I normally go around my neighborhood’s nature trails and pick up plastic or trash I see in the creek on the side of the trail. You can even start a garden or plant a tree, watch a documentary on the environment, buy reusable bags/water bottles, go outside and appreciate nature, and much more. There are so many ways to celebrate Earth Day that shouldn’t take up too much of your time or day. 

This Earth Day, make an effort to celebrate the planet we live on. Whether it is simply appreciating nature, or using less plastic for the day, everyone should do something. The Earth has given everybody so much, so we should all take the time to give at least a little back.