Polls

It's finally spring! Right?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Construction Academy Upgrades the Courtyard Swings

Recently, the construction class built a new deck for the swings in the courtyard. Though the swings were off-limits during the construction, students may use the swings again.

They have been working on the new deck for three weeks. During those three weeks, the students made cuts using saws such as table saws, miter saws, and circular saws. They have also used tools such as nail guns and impact wrenches to install nails and screws. The students have learned to use countersinking so that the tops of the screws can fit below the deck. They have also learned how to use the tools previously listed. 

Mr Landford said, “They are learning about structural framing components, how to provide a proper layout of those components so the deck boards are installed properly, they learn about pressure treated materials and how those materials prevent insect decay, particularly termite infestation, and several methods of framing applications.  learning how to install deck boards and raising the swings for a good seat height.” 

These many skills will be useful in the future. Throughout the three weeks, they applied their construction knowledge to complete the deck that many students are excited to use. This structure provides many seats for students to eat lunch or spend their spare time. 

About the Contributor
Hunter Edwards
Hunter Edwards, Contributor
I am in 9th grade. I like playing sports such as football, basketball, and soccer. I enjoy playing video games. When I grow up, I want to be a lawyer.