Donate to an Ice Cause: Viral Challenge Raises over $100 Million for Charity in a Month

Rachael+Bryan+completing+the+Ice+Bucket+Challenge.+

Kalee Yem

Rachael Bryan completing the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Michael Samaras, Editor

One of the greatest satisfactions in life is forcing someone to dump ice water on his head. It’s even more satisfying when it’s all for a good cause. An online fundraiser, known as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, has gone viral in the past few weeks.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, is a disease that attacks the nerve cells in both the brain and spinal cord. The disease deteriorates muscle movement in a person with the disease, and ALS leads to short-term death.

The challenge involves a person who was nominated by someone who has already completed the challenge dumping a bucket of ice water on his/her head. The person then can nominate other people or groups to complete the challenge within 24 hours. Nominees have the option of declining the challenge. If they decline the challenge, then a donation must be made to the ALS Association. The challenge has proven to be very effective in raising funds for ALS research; the ALS Association has raised over $100.9 million in donations in the time period between July 29 and August 29, 2014. In the same time period last year, $2.8 million was raised in donations.

Many students at Bob Jones have completed the Ice Challenge. Rachael Bryan admits that she wasn’t too excited about being nominated for it. “I didn’t really want to do it when I saw I was nominated,” she said. “But it raises awareness really well, the challenge made me look up what the disease is about.”

Other students found a little more enjoyment while doing the challenge.  “It was fun,” senior Shae Greene said. “I also think that it gets people aware of the disease. Because everyone’s doing the challenge, people hear about the disease too.”

The challenge isn’t just limited to individual people. Several clubs and sports teams have done the challenge collectively. The Bob Jones Cross Country Team, Volleyball Team, Girls Basketball Team, Cheerleaders, and the Swim Team have all been nominated and accepted the challenge. In addition to completing the challenge, donations were raised to the ALS Association as well. Cross Country runners were asked to bring in donations in addition to dumping ice water on their heads. Extracurricular clubs and sports teams have also challenged teachers and administrators to complete it.

Mr. Parker has been asked several times, but still has yet to comply. If you’re reading this, Mr. Parker, you’ve been challenged. Again.