Gold Medal Dreams Coming True at BJHS

Olympic Swimmer Zach Harting

Avonya Divinity, Writer, Photographer

Most people can only dream of making it to the Olympics. Zach Harting, a senior at Bob Jones High School, is making that dream a reality. Harting qualified for the USA Olympic Trials on September 18, 2014, in the 200-meter Butterfly.

“Making it to the Olympics is pretty cool because it is the highest level of swimming […] pretty much the highest level of anything that you can go to,” states Harting. “You have a whole world of fans that want to see you succeed.”

Zach Harting is currently ranked 212th in the world in the 200-meter Butterfly and is in the top five in the country for his age group. He is also ranked number one in the state.

“I see myself as abnormally dedicated. I hold myself to maintain my 4.0 GPA, while training to win at a National Level,” he says.

Zach wakes up at 4:17 a.m. to get ready for his five o’ clock morning practice. After school ends, he has another swim practice at four o’ clock. “Hard work is something that scares most people, but it’s what you need to do if you want to be successful.”

“Zach is a very dedicated swimmer.  He averages 9 practices per week, which equates to about 21 hours a week in the pool. Zach also does things to help his swimming outside of our normal practice time, such as yoga classes,” says Harting’s Swim Coach, Matt Webber.

Harting says,” [I’m] 95% focused on swimming, and 5% focused on school.” The USA Swimming Short Course Junior Nationals in Federal Way, WA, is the next swim meet in which Zach will be performing.

The Olympic swim trials will be held from Sunday, June 26, to Sunday, July 3, 2016, in Omaha, Nebraska, at the Century Link Center.

“Zach talks to everyone, and he has the best attitude,” says Devin Campbell. “He’s like the team clown, and the hardest working on the team, I would say.”

Harting is ready for college, and he has committed to the University of Louisville. “I really liked the team. That was the biggest thing, but I really liked the coaches, facilities, academic program, and the campus lifestyle. Go Cardinals,” he says.

Coach Webber says that above all else, the best quality a swimmer can have is work ethic, and Harting has an abundance of that. Beyond that, he has a very good feel for the water, a high strength-to-body weight ratio, and has managed to stay relatively injury-free.

Harting is on his way to starting a professional career with his dedication and hard work. “I plan on winning the Junior Nationals in Washington state. Then going to Louisville and win[ning] dual meets, travel meets, ACC’s, and the NCAA. Then make it to the Olympics and start a pro career.”