Pancakes for Breakfast and a Good Cause? Yes, Please

The Bob Jones AF JROTC students will be hosting a pancake breakfast on April 18th.

Theresa Andrzejewski, Writer

Pancakes are only one of many (delicious) ways to a student’s heart…or to a student’s wallet. The Bob Jones Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AF JROTC) program seems to recognize this, and has thus announced that it will host a pancake breakfast at Applebee’s.

The fundraising event is scheduled for the morning of April 18th, from seven to ten in the morning. Yes, that is the day of prom—why not start it off with a stack of fluffy pancakes?

The cost is only $5 per person, and the proceeds will go toward JROTC to pay for, as stated by Cadet Master Sergeant Aviana Rose, “All of our community service, all our field trips, and our competition drill team, which is all completely funded by fundraising.”

Rose adds that plenty of JROTC students will participate in ensuring that the breakfast will run smoothly. “We’re going to be completely involved,” she says.

Cadet Colonel Sarah Wroblewski affirms JROTC student involvement. “I’ll probably be back there making the pancakes,” she states.

Wroblewski adds that the breakfast will be a “good learning experience,” for just about everybody involved. “It’ll be good because we’ll get to interact with people and kind of just tell them more about JROTC.”

Learning more about such a generous, accomplished program is always excellent…and then, of course, there is the matter of the pancakes.

“Not only do you get the satisfaction of eating those pancakes,” says Andrew Smith, the JROTC drill team commander, “but you get the mental and emotional wind of supporting your peers and their endeavors.”

Pancakes plus a feeling of mental and emotional satisfaction? Even better.

Generally, for the JROTC students, fundraising is not an unfamiliar concept. They have held plenty of carwashes in the past, but this will be their first pancake breakfast.

“This is something new to us,” Rose says, “so we’re just going to go straight in and do it.”

Should the JROTC students stick to that honorable approach, they will likely find that they will gain not just support for their program, but also requests to someday, once again host another pancake breakfast.